It’s been a pretty tough week for all involved with the Cornish Pirates as firstly head coach Mark Hewitt was dismissed following Sunday’s dismal exit from the National Trophy and then the players who are contracted for next season were told that they will be taking a substantial paycut! Brett Davey was given the role of acting head coach for the rest of the season, also notified that he would have to re-apply for his existing job next season. So it was with a mixture of interest and apprehension that the supporters awaited to see the reaction on the field last weekend at Moseley.

It started slowly up at Billesley Common as Moseley went 10-0 up early doors. However the Pirates dug deep and showed pride and guts as they turned the tide. Scrum-half Nicky Griffiths with a try-saving tackle to prevnet the homeside going even further ahead then went on to score a hat-trick of tries himself in a starring role on the day. Jimmy Moore on from the start converted all four tries including Paul Devlin’s and kicked three penalties as the Pirates came from behind to win 37-26. A moral boosting win for the Pirates as they look to finish off the season on the up.

In National League 2, Redruth as expected accounted for second from bottom side Southend 48-14 at the Recreation Ground. It wasn’t all plain sailing for the Reds as it took them a while to settle into their rythem due to the stop-start nature of the game, which was delayed for 20 minutes during the first half as two Southend players collided, happily both have since recovered well. The scoring was led by Rob Thirlby approaching his best form once again who ran in a hat-trick of tries. Mark Bright gave another towering performance as he ran in two tries, with other scores comming from Peter Joyce, Lewis Vinnicombe and Owen Hambly.

Down at the Mennaye, the Cornish All Blacks got their revenge for their defeat at home earlier in the season at the hands of Mount’s Bay, with No.8 Sam Hocking powering over for the decisive score seven minutes into time added on for a 19-15 win. Glenn Remnant scored the first Launceston try with Mal Roberts (2) and Adam Staniforth kicking three penalties. For Bay Dan Hawkes kicked five penalties.

In the Tribute regional leagues; in South West 2 West, another good win for St. Ives who beat Brixham 34-10 with Julian Hosking, Kyle Armstrong, Richard Humphreys, Rudy Meredith and Hano Dirksen all crossing for tries. Karl Martin kicking three conversions and a penalty. The Hakes are fourth in the table.

In Western Counties West, Wadebridge Camels remain in fourth place after a 37-17 win at home to Tiverton. Dan Briskham ran in four tries for the Camels with Alisdair Maclennan scoring a fifth. Jake McCarroll added three conversion and acouple of penalties.

Newquay Hornets are just behind their near neighbours following a 31-10 win at the Sportscentre over bottom side Withycombe. Stuart Williams, Alex Woodley, Luke Mansfield and Jon Hyatt scored tries for the Hornets with Sam Cullen landing all four conversions and a penalty.

Camborne had no luck at leaders Cullompton who trounced the visitors 45-0.

Bude lost at Bencoolen 25-7 to visting Kingsbridge, Paul Williams with the try which Ollie Rayner converted.

In London 3 SW, London Cornish after a lay-off due to the bad weather in the South East found leaders Chichester too hot to handle as they lost 27-3.

In the Cornwall & Devon League, leaders Penryn ran in 14 tries as they defeated Saltash at the Memorial Ground 88-0. Chris Mann (3), Marek Churcher (2), Dan Booth, Taron Peacock, Charlie Ross, Dan Laity, Rob Trevaskis, Matt Biggins, Kevin Hughes and Syd Savvas all crossed for the Borough. Peacock (3) and Biggins (6) adding nine conversions.

Truro surprisingly slipped up in Somerset at Wellington 17-16, Truro scored tries through Rickki Brandon and Sean Rosevear, with Scott Martin adding two penalties.

Hayle lost at Okehampton 23-13, Adam Keverne with a try for the Lions, Shayne Poynton with a conversion and two penalties.

Falmouth got their first league win of the season at the Rec with a 20-19 win over Plymstock, thanks to a last-gasp penalty from Matt Horton. Horton kicked also kicked an earlier penalty and converted both of Steve Roe’s tries.

The 2009 Bottle Match played in London saw The Royal School of Mines beat Camborne School of Mines 14-10 to retain the “bottle”.

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts