All Square Once Again!


By Bill Hooper, at the Recreation Ground

Having fought out a 19 all draw at Redruth 10 days ago, once again the two teams could not be separated in this Boxing Day thriller.

It certainly proved to be a game of two halves. Camborne deservedly leading 28-0 at half-time and seemingly heading for a Rodda’s Milk Cup win, yet Redruth turned the tables during the second half mounting the mother of all comebacks to earn a share of the spoils.

A large crowd assembled with late arrivals still pouring through the gates after kick-off, I would estimate some 2,000, who were royally entertained.

Conditions were perfect. Playing down the slope Camborne were the quicker to settle into their stride. Quick ball from Liam Jolly set his backs into action.

Some lovely play from Harry Larkins down the grandstand touchline put Jordan Nicholls into space, the flanker needed no bidding to charge to the line to the roar of the West Bank.

Aaron Simmonds added the first of his four conversions.

Redruth thought they had scored through centre Sam James but Mr Milliner adjudged a double movement as he stretched for the line.

Instead it was the West Bank again roaring it’s approval as the excellent George Edson weaved some magic down the touchline to feed inside to Larkins who scampered over.

It was time for the Camborne forwards to take charge. Twice before half-time they struck, both came from a catch and drive, firstly Tommy-Lee Southworth was driven over and then top try scorer for Town Ben Priddey.

The Camborne supporters cheered their favourites off at half-time 28-0 to the good.

Redruth made some changes at half-time, Tommy Phillips, Jack King, Dan Rutter  and Nat Dart came on whilst shortly later Chris Rovery, a guest player who plays for Dings entered the fray.

The Reds set about their business. An early penalty was kicked to the corner from the catch and drive it was Sam Stevens who scored the first try of th second half, Rutter adding the extras.

Two minutes later thedeficit had been halved, Harry Hocking bamboozled th Town defence with Harry Andrewartha cutting back through the gap to dot down at the posts. Game on!

Redruth had their tails up as they continued to press in Camborne territory. From a scrum the ball went to James this time the try was good, Redruth were back to within a score.

The Redruth faithful who had made the short trip were in full cry as the clock ticked down.

Redruth piled on the pressure, eventually it told as the forwards drove over, was it Tyler Gendall or Phillips? Rutter’s conversion levelled the scores.

Camborne tried desperately to fashion another score but the Redruth defence held firm.

What a game!

Camborne will be disappointed to have let their half-time advantage slip and feel they should have won, however Redruth showed great courage to stage such a comeback.

The TASC Tony Pill Memorial Cup for the man-of-the-match went to Redruth’s Tommy Phillips

Camborne: A Simmonds, Larkins, Edson, Long, Vinnecombe,  Simmonds, Jolly;  Southworth, Priddey, Prowse, Fuca, Hughes, Sheppard, Nicholls, Rose (C).

Replacements: Drew, Dower, Looker, Hazelton, Harrison-Evans, Trengove, Brooksbank, Bone

Redruth: Bonds, Thomas, Andrewartha, James, Bowden, Brownfield, Tanswell; Barnes, Hocking, Gendall, Osborne, Pascoe, Fox (C), Stevens, Chapman.

Replacements: Pritchard, Phillips, King, Rovery, Allen, Dart, Rutter, Swan, Hall, Chapple.

Referee: James Milliner-Woodcock

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts