Redruth live to fight another day following this narrow win in their final league match at the Recreation Ground this season, reports Bill Hooper.

A seesaw match with the lead changed seven times, not recommended for those of a nervous disposition, finally settled in the Reds favour six minutes from time as fly-half Aaron Penberthy slotted home his fourth penalty of the game. The young Redruth fly-half kicked six from six adding the conversions of both Redruth’s tries in a faultless kicking display.

Redruth got off to a good start with Penberthy kicking his first penalty on 4 minutes as Blaydon failed to roll away. However the visitors soon showed they hadn’t travelled the virtually length of England just to make up the numbers. A sustained period of pressure saw them score their opening try after 18 minutes as lock Chris Wearmouth exploited a gap in the Reds’ cover down in Hell Fire Corner to crash over.

With the visitors again pressing near the Redruth line lock Luke Collins ripped the ball off the Blaydon forwards to set up centre Sean Hawkey who ran powerfully to the Blaydon 22, winger Tom Notman and inspirational skipper Mark Bright took the move on up to the visitor’s line forcing Blaydon to infringe with No.8 Gavin Jones shown a yellow card for killing the ball.

Redruth opted for the scrum with scrum-half Nick Simmons darting in from 5 meters to score the Reds opening try on 26 minutes, Penberthy adding the extras for a 10-5 lead.

Frustratingly for the Reds they too soon found themselves down to fourteen men as Hawkey was adjudged to have deliberately knocked the ball on as Blaydon once again pressed in the Redruth 22, Andrew Baggett slotting home a simple penalty from in front of the posts.

Blaydon finished the half the stronger adding a second try with full back Ed Yarnton finishing off a good move that had stretched the Reds’ defence in the Piggy Lane corner, Baggett adding the conversion for a useful 15-10 lead for the visitors.

Redruth started the second half strongly with Bright scoring a second try for the Reds on 46 minutes, Penberthy was on cue with the conversion as he was with a penalty just four minutes later to put Redruth 20-15 up.

Blaydon wouldn’t lie down and a fine move involving backs and forwards saw winger Fraser Wilson come off his wing to score a fine try under the posts on 55 minutes and with Baggett’s conversion Blaydon were once again in the lead 22-20.

Penberthy and Baggett swapped penalties as the game entered it’s final 10 minutes. The Redruth crowd held its breath as they knew nothing less than a win would keep the Reds alive to fight again next week in their final game at Wharfedale.

Blaydon infringed as Redruth pressed allowing Penberthy to kick his fourth penalty and secure a vital win for the Reds to the relief of the Redruth faithful.

Redruth will take their fight to stay in National League 1 to the Yorkshire Dales next weekend but they also know that they will need other results to go their way if they are to survive. It will no doubt prove to be a gripping finale to the season.

Redruth 26 pts
Tries – Simmons, Bright, Conversions – Penberthy (2), Penalties – Penberthy (4)
Yellow Card – Hawkey (28)

Blaydon 25 pts
Tries – Wearmouth, Yarnton, Wilson, Conversion – Baggett (2), Penalties – Baggett (2)
Yellow Card – Jones (25)

Referee: Terry Hall (RFU)
Crowd: 1,157

Despite scoring four tries at London Scottish the Cornish All Blacks suffered a 47 – 29 defeat on their travels to London. Ryan Westren, Ben Turner, Liam Dwyer and Jack Andrew all crossed the whitewash for the All Blacks to at least claim a try-scoring bonus point. Westren and Jake Murphy added the other points with the boot.

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts


Throttled by Instagram because of too many API requests.