Rain almost stopped play


Photo: Sam Matavesi made his first start for the Cornish Pirates in Ulster


Cornish Pirates hopes of progression in this the final season of the British Irish Cup hang by a thread ahead of their final pool match against Hartpury College on Saturday, kick-off 2 pm.

It follows their loss at Ulster A on Friday evening 25-14; they will hope that other results go their way in their bid to secure one of the best three runners-up berths.

Pirates’ try was scored by Alex O’Meara with the trusty boot of Laurence May landing three penalties.

On Saturday, the foul weather accounted for many games in Cornwall.

Redruth travelled to Worthing in National League 2 South ending up on the wrong side of a 46-43 score-line!

For the second week running the Reds picked up a couple of bonus points on the road, but wins are proving hard to bring home this season.

The Reds tries were scored by AJ Cant, Shaun Buzza, Brad Howe, Pale Nonu, Mark Grubb and Richie Kevern, who also landed five conversions and a penalty.

Redruth play their first game of 2018 at the Rec this Saturday when they entertain Taunton (2 pm).

In the South West Premier, Camborne managed to stage their game against promotion chasing Bournemouth at a soaked Recreation Ground.

It boiled down in the conditions to the side that held it’s discipline and took it’s chances, Bournemouth did, and won, Camborne didn’t, and lost!

The visitors, playing down the slope first half ground out a 13-0 advantage at the break, with conditions worsening by the minute during the second half, the only score of the half came right at the end when skipper Jon Drew was driven over and Dave Mankee kicked the conversion for a losing bonus point in a 7-13 score-line.

The result leaves Town hovering just above the relegation places, with their next game at Bracknell likely to be a pivotal one.

In Tribute South West 1 West, Launceston defeated Newent 29-7 at Polson Bridge to move above their visitors into third place in the table.

The game was very bad tempered with each side having a player red carded and numerous stoppages for fights breaking out!

When rugby was played the Cornish All Blacks scored tries through Lloyd Duke (2), Torin Clarke, and Ben Hawke with Dan Pearce kicking the other points.

In London 1 South, London Cornish had a very good win against Gravesend. Matt Chambers (2), Matt Hakes and Tom Homan scored the tries with skipper George Kimmins kicking three conversions and a penalty.

In the Tribute Western Counties West, leaders St. Ives maintained their top spot with a bonus point win at rejuvenated Sidmouth 29-25.

Leigh Hocking (2), Chris Quick, Rob Elloway and Jamie Prisk scored the tries with Rhys Brownfield kicking a couple of penalties.

St. Austell clearly hadn’t digest defeat the previous week at St. Ives as they went down to second defeat in a row at home to struggling Tiverton 18-15.

Despite tries from Ben Chenoweth and Andy Inch and points from the boot of Liam Freeman, a late Tivvy penalty sealed the shock win.

Wadebridge Camels had a fine win at home against Torquay Athletic 43-5. Will Pengelly and Dom Hawkey each scored two tries with Cody Armstrong, Joe Pretty and Gary Gynn also touching down. Danny Thomas added four conversions.

The game between Falmouth and Truro was postponed.

In the Tribute Cornwall & Devon League, only one game involving Cornish sides survived, Hayle travelled to Honiton only to lose 33-3, Lello with their sole points.

In Tribute Cornwall 1, leaders Liskeard-Looe won 44-0 at Roseland to maintain top spot.

In Tribute Cornwall 2, Lankelly-Fowey defeated Stithians in a close game 29-22 to stay at the top.

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts