Camborne re-appoint Chapple

Photo: Liam Chapple returns for another stint at Town


With the Cornish Pirates’ British & Irish Cup final pool game against Hartpury College called off at 11 am on Saturday morning, it seems likely the new date will over the weekend of 3rd/ 4th February, the main focus switched to Redruth game against Taunton.

It turned out to be a gripping south west derby with the Reds running out winners by 38-22, having found themselves 22-10 down early in the second half.

Kyle Marriott marked his 100th appearance for the Reds with two tries, other tries came from skipper Richard Brown, Rob Coote, AJ Cant and Mark Grubb, with Richie Kevern slotting four conversions.

It was a welcome win following two defeats on the road at the start of 2018.

Not such good news for Camborne in the South West Premier, they lost 26-12 at Bracknell and have slipped into the relegation places.

Dave Mankee kicked four penalties for the cherry and whites. Following this result the Camborne committee have re-appointed former head coach Liam Chapple as Director of Senior Rugby.

In a club communiqué Club Chairman Andy Gill stated; “Camborne RFC is pleased to announce, that with immediate effect, Mr Liam Chapple has been appointed to the position of Director of Senior Rugby. Liam’s appointment will enhance and strengthen the current coaching team by adding his wider coaching experience, player management skills and acknowledged administration skills. His appointment is confirmed until the end of the 2018-19 season.”

Chapple will take training this week alongside coaches Damien Cook and Rhodri McAtee and his charges will be looking for the support of a big home crowd against Weston-super-Mare on Saturday (2.30 pm KO).

Launceston maintained their third place in Tribute South West 1West after a 29-5 win at North Petherton.

In London 1 South, defeat for London Cornish at Thurrock 24-15. Claude Springer and Rich Stephens scored tries for the exiles with George Kimmins kicking the other points.

In Tribute Western Counties West, St. Ives march on at the top after another win this time over Paignton 29-7. Tom Nicholas, Sam Carter, Harry Parton and Lewis Thomas were among the tries.

Wadebridge Camels edged a tight affair at Truro 12-10. Will Pengelly and Jack Scott scored tries for the Camels with Joe Pretty crucially getting a conversion. Ollie Seagrove and Jack Hazelton scored unconverted tries for Truro.

Falmouth did their survival chances a power of good with a 38-12 win at Burnham.

AJ Geach, Tom Simmonds, Matt Poole, Dan Goodwin, Tom Edmonds and Seb Firth scored the Eagles’ tries with Edmonds kicked four conversions.

St. Austell’s game at Torquay Athletic was abandoned six minutes from time following an injury to a Torquay player. Tics led 21-15 at that point.

In the Tribute Cornwall & Devon League, Penryn battled to a 6-0 win at Bude thanks to a couple of Tom Townsend penalties.

Lanner beat Hayle 8-3. James Carpenter scored the only try of the game with Nick Prout kicking a penalty for the Falcons. Dan Lello’s penalty gave Hayle a losing bonus point.

Saltash’s game at Tavistock and Pirates Amateurs game at Wessex were both postponed.

Sunday coming Cornwall U.20s play a warm up game against Devon at the Brickfields.

Devon defeated Gloucestershire at North Tawton on Sunday 21-7 in another warm up game.

Cornwall open their Jason Leonard Cup campaign against Gloucestershire at Cinderford on 11th February 1 pm.

Cornwall Senior Ladies held trials last weekend at both Launceston RC and Truro College looking to pick a squad for the Gill Burns Cup competition.

Finally sad news with the death announced last week of Gerald Luke. Gerald was a fine player for Penzance & Newlyn playing in the centre, also for Cornwall for whom he gained 40 caps. He played in four county semi-finals and the 1958 county final for Cornwall against Warwickshire lost 16-8 at Coundon Road Coventry.

Whilst at St. Luke’s College, Exeter, he was part of the side that won the final of the Middlesex 7’s in 1957 against London Welsh.

He also played for the combined Cornwall & Devon side, in a centre partnership with Harold Stevens, that drew 3-3 with the Wallabies at Home Park Plymouth in 1963.

In 1959 he was involved in an England Trial Match at Banbury, sadly an injury curtailed his involvement, and there was never a subsequent call up.

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts