I watched two games live this weekend with both matches ending with a one point winning margin for the victorious side.

Sunday’s Championship encounter at Camborne between the Cornish Pirates and the Bedford Blues was a gripping affair, but when the Blues fly-half Myles Dorrian stepped up with just 2 minutes remaining to take a penalty on the 22 in front of the Pirates’ post it looked like another defeat was looming for the Cornish side, however to everyone’s utter amazement the ball flew past the right hand upright and the Pirates held on for an important 25-24 win.

Trailing by ten points at half-time 7-17, the Pirates had been very generous to their viditors allowing them in for a couple of tries just before the break due to some pretty feeble first up tackling. Blair Cowan had scored the Pirates opening try, which fly-half Rob Cook converted, which at the time put the Pirates 7-3 up untill the mad couple of minutes before half-time.

The Pirates came out second half intent on making up the arrears and they did with Cook adding a penalty and then converting Gavin Cattle’s try following a fine break from hooker Dave Ward.

Quick-thinking from winger Rhodri McAtee, who took a quick throw up in Hubert’s Hill 22, gave lock Ben Gulliver the chance to score the home side’s third try for 22-17 lead. The Blues hit back with a third convertred try to grab the lead once more, until another penalty from Cook gave his side the slenderist of leads. The late drama from Dorrian made sure that it was just enough to earn the points.

Some gutsy performances for the Pirates today, flankers Ben Cowan and Sam Betty had excellent games as did both the locks Ben Gulliver and Shaun Pammenter. In the backs the classy Cook caught the eye as did the industrious Nick Jackson in the centre.

Some positives to take forward as the Pirates build for Saturday’s clash at Sandy Park against the undefeated Exeter Chiefs. It promises to be a cracker!

In National League 1, Redruth this week were on the wrong end of an 11-10 scoreline as London Scottish maintained their push for top honours as they came back from 10-0 down to win with a last-gasp Frankie Neale penalty.

Fair to say that Redruth were put under tremendous pressure in this game and did well to lead at half-time 7-0 thanks to a try from Mark Bright converted by Brett Rule, Rule added a second half penalty, but Redruth made the fatal mistake of trying to close the game down and were made to pay for it.

The Cornish All Blacks got back to winning ways in impressive style winning 33-29 at Otley. Sam Hocking, Jason Luff and Josh Lord scored Launceston’s tries with Tony Yapp converting all three plus four penalties. Next up for the Cornish All Blacks the visit of leaders Esher to Polson next Saturday!

In the Tribute leagues, in South West 1 West, another fine result for St. Ives as they won 23-14 at Torquay Athletic. A penalty-try award and a second try from prop hugh Noot both converted by player/coach Ian Morgan who also kicked three penalties,

In Tribute Western Counties West, this week’s derby was at Camborne as the Cherry & Whites made it nine wins from ten with a 27-3 win over Penryn. Tom Hinds, Tom Knotman, Shane Woods and Joe Parma scored tries for Town with Dave Mankee kicking a conversion and a penalty with Woods also adding a conversion. For Penryn Taron Peacock kicked a penalty.

Newquay Hornets at last got back to winning ways with a 17-12 win at Minehead. Tim Eustace, Rob McIntyre and Lee Pascoe scored the Hornets’ tries with sam Cullen adding a conversion.

Truro won well at Withycombe 42-10 with tries comming from Luke Trescothick (2), Jake Champion (2) and Mark Lee. Scott Martin added four conversions and three penalties.

Wadebridge Camels had a fine win at home against Tiverton 51-0, scoring nine tries in all, Dan Briskham enjoyed a hat-trick, whilst Matt Ballard bagged a brace. Other scores came from Cam Lees, Tom Crothers Shaun Hawkey and Ben May. Josh Taylor added three conversions.

Bude won at home against Tavistock 22-10. Simon Hicks, Matt Trewin Luke Dunkin and Kurt Blake all scored tries with Trwin adding one conversion.

In London 2 SW, London Cornish won at Winchester by 20-7, match report here

In the Cornwall & Devon League, Stithians’ fine run came to an end at Teignmouth were the Cornish side lost 40-10 in a feisty encounter which saw three players dismissed two for the hosts and one for the visitors! Stithians sole try was scored by Damien Lyall, with Martin Strick converting and adding a penalty.

In the Cornish derby Liskeard & Looe won the battle of the “Lions” 14-6 at Hayle. Josh Rule kicked a couple of penalties for the home side, whilst James Knowles-Johnson converted his own try as well as a penalty try for the visitors.

Falmouth drew at home to Torrington 9-9, Jack Brown with two penalties and also a penalty from Matt Horton.

St. Austell lost at Bideford 15-12, Andy Ashwin kicking four penalties.

Saltash well-beaten at Crediton 63-, Rob Eatwell scoring for the Ashes with Morgan Toms converting.

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts