Bristol got a modicum of revenge for last season’s defeat in the semi-finals with a win over the Cornish Pirates at the Memorial Ground. A final flourish saw them turnaround a one point deficit with just eight minutes left on the clock to finally run-out 29-17 winners.

Matt Evans again crossed the whitewash for the Pirates dotting down his sixth try in three games, however the worrying scenes at the final whistle saw the Canadian flyer stretched off, though thankfully it looks like the tough Cannuck will be back in fray before too long. Thought Tom Kessell at scrum-half had another good game as did centre Tom Riley. It was also good to see Chris Morgan coming on as a replacement following his injury.

Match report from the WMN here.

No game for Redruth last Saturday, so all eyes were on Polson Bridge where the Cornish All Blacks were looking for their first win against a useful Hartpury College side. In the end it ended honours even at 24 all.

Match report from the WMN here  

In the Tribute League in South west 1 West, Camborne’s mini run came to end as they lost at Old Redcliffians 25-19, whilst Wadebridge Camels recorded a first win against Chard 25-10 at the Molesworth Field. Camels scored tries from Adam Collings and Sam Stone, whist the trusty boot of James Grubb added the other points.

In Western Counties West, St. Austell march on with a third win. Their 24-18 success over visitors Kingsbridge. A couple of tries from Sam Tank and kicks from Matt Shepherd saw the Saints home.

Penryn got a win at home against Okehampton 35-24. Tries were scored by Gavin Laycock (2), Richard Burns, Tom Hobean, and Andy Sevior. Dave Pascoe kicking the goals.

Truro lost a ding-dong match at St. Clements 25-24 to Exeter Saracens. Lee Pengilly, Issac Scoble and Matt Ayres, with kicks from Chevy Read and Ayres.

Bude lost once again this time at Torquay Athletic 49-12. The North Cornwall side’s points came from tries scored by Ollie Denton and Phil Horton, with Dan Pearce landing a conversion.

Up in London 2 SW London Cornish’s opening league fixture ended in defeat at Portsmouth 18-13. Flanker Andrew Dinwiddie scored exiles try with centre Luke Spells kicking the other points.

In the Cornwall & Devon League, St. Ives won again to record their third win, though they only have 9 points due to a points deduction carried over from last season. The latest win was a derby success over Pirates Amateurs 44-14 at Alexandra Road.

Saltash also made it three win from three with a 17-6 win over Plymouth Barbarians.

Hayle drew at Crediton 13 all, but there were defeats for the other Cornish clubs, Liskeard & Looe 25-9 at Wessex, Falmouth 62-17 at Withycombe and Newquay Hornets 51-10 at Tiverton.

I mentioned last week that former Cornish All Black Tom Parker and former Redruth player Ed Carne were both about to start their league campaigns in Federale 1 (level 3) in France last weekend. Sadly it was not a winning start for either. Tom Parker’s Vannes side lost their opener at Tyrosse 26-9, whilst Ed’s Nevers team lost a tight game at Saint Junien 32-20.


Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts