A dramatic finale at the Recreation Ground saw a last gasp penalty attempt from
Reds fly-half Brett Rule sail agonisingly wide of the posts, leaving the Reds’
No.10 inconsolable as the final whistle sounded, reports Bill Hooper.

Henley Hawks were on the other hand cock-a-hoop as they celebrated a hard fought win on
Cornish soil to maintain their unbeaten start to the season.

Despite the difficult playing conditions on the day, Rule opened Redruth’s account with
a penalty after 5 minutes as the Hawks pack infringed.

But it was Henley who carried the early threat and their territorial dominance was
rewarded with an unconverted try scored by No.8 Matt Payne scored up the
scoreboard corner on 18 minutes.

Rule missed with a penalty chance just after the half-hour mark, but it was Henley
who carried the greater threat but a combination of wrong options and
ill-discipline saw promising moves go unrewarded leaving the score at 5-3 to the
visitors at the break.

Henley got the second half off to a good start as full-back James Comben edged his
side further ahead with a penalty.

Redruth stormed back at their opponents with fine play up in the scoreboard corner
seeing Owen Hambly put his fellow back row partner Chris Fuca in for a try on 44
minutes, Rule kicking a good conversion from the touchline to put Redruth 10-8

Redruth’s advantage lasted all of three minutes as Comben kicked a second penalty to put the
Hawks back in the lead.

Rule missed with another penalty opportunity before an exciting passage of play
involving prop Darren Jacques and lock Damien Cook saw winger Tom Notman chip
ahead towards the scoreboard corner with the Reds’ winger just denied as the
Hawks cover got back in the nick of time.

Rule got another penalty chance to nudge his side ahead and his fine kick put the
Reds 13-11 on 60 minutes.

The battle of the kickers continued as Comben saw a long-range penalty effort fall
short for Henley, but the full-back was on song just three minutes from time
following a fine run from Hawks South African winger Xav Andre lead to a penalty
for the visitors. Some back chat from the Reds saw referee Paul Kimber marching
them back a further 10 meters making the kick easier for Comben to put his side
14-13 up.

A frenetic finale saw Redruth storm the Henley line, but the final twist sadly
didn’t go the Reds’ way leaving them with just a losing bonus point.

Redruth 13 pts

Try – Fuca, Penalties – Rule (2), Conversion – Rule

Henley Hawks 14 pts

Try – Payne, Penalties – Comben (3)

The Cornish All Blacks lost on the road at Shelford 33-30 but picked up two bonus points.

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts