Very little league rugby this weekend as it was National Cups day from level 3 down.

In National League 1, Launceston’s big day hosting Northampton Saints was called off following the torrential Saturday morning rain, which left a small section of the Polson pitch waterlogged.

The Cornish Pirates secured an important win at Old Deer Park by 20 – 17, thanks to a long-range Gareth Steenson penalty which proved to be the only score of the second half. The Pirates got off to a storming start leading 17-3 by the end of the first quarter, two players returning from injury centre Steve Winn and full-back Adryan Winnan scored the Pirates tries, both converted by Steenson who also kicked a first half penalty. Sam Ulph kicked a penalty for the Welsh exiles, before the Pirates conceded two tries within three minutes from London Welsh skipper Richard Martin-Redman, Ulph converting both to tie the scores at half-time.

In the only other league encounter involving a Cornish club, St. Ives made the trip up to Oxfordshire to play Chinnor in Southwest 1 and lost 77-0.

Result of the day has to be Mount’s Bay’s narrow win at Southend in the National Trophy 13-12. A giant-killing act indeed as the ever-improving Bay claimed the scalp of a National League 2 club. The result could easily have gone the other way as Bay were rescued by an up-right which deflected a last-gasp drop goal attempt from South end’s Ben McKeith. Jarvis kicked an early penalty before Southend took the lead with a try from winger Tyson Lewis. Bay fell further behind on 27 mins conceding a second try this time scored by full-back Simon Hoult who also added the conversion. Jon Marlin scored a try for Bay before half-time which Jarvis converted to leave them trailing by just two points. Jarvis’ 60 min penalty success then clinched the tie.

Redruth stormed into the fourth round with a comprehensive win over an under-strengthed Stourbridge side 64-7 scoring ten tries in the process (See my match report on the main site).

The fourth round draw concerning Cornish sides is detailed below with three of the four ties scheduled to be played in the Duchy on the weekend of 12/13 January.

In the Senior Vase 4th round, Wadebridge Camels tie at Ivybridge was another game to fall foul of the weather with Ivybridge’s Cross-in-Hand pitch being deemed unplayable. The tie should take place this coming Saturday.

The only other Cornish interest in this competition ended on Saturday as London Cornish lost to Hammersmith & Fulham 20-19 (Dickon Moon has a complete match report on the forums).

The Junior Vase 5th round ties, Stithians tie at Bristol Saracens was postponed. St. Austell defeated Liskeard & Looe in the only all-Cornish tie of the round 14-8, whilst Saltash lost at Southmead 25-8.

In the three Skinners Brewery Cornwall Clubs Cup 1st Round ties that were played on Saturday;

Newquay Hornets 45 – 0 Camborne School of Mines
Bodmin 7 – 31 Helston
Redruth Albany 28 – 20 Roseland

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts