It may have been Super Sunday up country for soccer, but in the Duchy we had our own version with the oval ball at Camborne. What a festive cracker we all enjoyed, you can read my match report on the main site, suffice to say that thanks to their 43 – 12 win the Cornish Pirates have moved up to third place in the table, whilst the All Blacks remain at the foot of the table with a big mountain to climb during the second half of the season if they hope to play National League 1 rugby next season. With it being the season of goodwill, I wish both clubs the very best in their respective quests in the New Year.

On Saturday Redruth entertained Henley Hawks in a match, which before the season commenced looked likely to b a top of the table encounter as opposed to a relegation dog-fight. It was the Reds who grabbed all five league points with an impressive score-line 44 – 3. A more detailed report on the match is available on the main TASC website. A win next Saturday at Stourbridge and Redruth could well climb out of the bottom three by Christmas, which would be great Christmas to coach Nigel Hambly from his players.

It was first versus second in National League 3 South on Saturday as hitherto un-beaten Mount’s Bay travelled up to Cinderford. A win for Bay would have given them a commanding lead at the top of the table going into the New Year, however their fine run was brought to an end as impressive Cinderford won 17 – 0 at Docking Road. Boasting several players with Premiership experience such as Matt Cornwell and Andy Deacon along with Tristan Roberts who has been capped by England Counties, they set about their task to down the league leaders. An early drop goal by Roberts set the scene as Jarvis missed with a penalty attempt for the visitors. The loss of Richard Carroll to the sin-bin didn’t help Bay’s cause as during his absence Cinderford increased their lead with a converted try scored by Dan Trigg, Roberts adding the extras.

Cinderford increased their lead with a second converted try in the second half scored by scrum-half Will Merivale. Bay were back down to fourteen men as John Griffiths was obliged to sit out for 10 mins for pulling a man down in the line out. Bay were unable to rescue the game a result which still leaves them top but only with a three point advantage over their victors.

In the regional leagues it was the final round of matches before the Christmas/New Year break. In Southwest 1, St. Ives had an important game at fellow strugglers Bournemouth, despite taking an early lead thanks to try from hooker Ben Taylor converted by Matt Thomas the Hakes were pegged back before half-time. The home side then took the lead with a couple of tries, before St. Ives rallied with a second try scored and converted by Josh Stevens to trail by only three points, Bournemouth then scored a fourth try in injury time to seal the win and leave the Hakes firmly rooted at the foot of the table five points away from safety.

Not much better in Southwest 2 west as Camborne suffered another defeat this time at home to Weston Hornets 27 – 10, town’s tries were scored by Andrew Smith and Cameron Bone. The result leaves Camborne firmly at the foot of the table seven points adrift of safety.

In Western Counties West, Bude took advantage of Wadebridge Camels re-arranged EDF-Energy Senior Vase tie to leap-frog their North Cornwall rivals in the table with 17 – 10 win over visitors Tiverton. Leading 5 – 0 at the break thanks to a try from Julian Morris, the home side went on to build a 17 – 0 lead during the second half thanks to further tries from replacement Ian Wickett and Dave Uglow with Olly Denford adding a conversion. Tiverton mounted a come back of sorts scoring a converted try and a penalty, however Bude held out for the win.

Still no joy for Penryn as they lost their basement tussle with Withycombe 7 – 3 at the Memorial Ground, Taron Peacock kicked the only points for the Borough. Penryn are now six points adrift of their conquerors and look set to return to the Cornwall & Devon League next season.

Hayle lost up in Somerset to Minehead Barbarians by 28 – 5.

In London 3 SW, London Cornish enjoyed a fine win over Old Wimbeldonians 62 – 5 to help them digest last week’s Senior Vase defeat. Once again Dickon Moon has written a fine report on the game which can be read in the forums of the TASC site.

In the Cornwall & Devon League it’s suddenly become very tight at the top as for the second week running the top two Newquay Hornets and Truro were beaten. Hornets remain top by a point despite losing 27 – 7 at fast improving Cullompton. Hooker Luke Bazeley scored the Hornets try which was converted by replacement Ryan Johns.

Truro slip from second to fifth following their 26 – 18 loss in North Devon at Bideford.

Falmouth are up to third having beaten Honiton 28 – 10 at the Rec. What price Falmouth being in a higher league than the Borough next season?

In the postponed Senior Vase tie from last week, Wadebridge Camels booked a trip to Frome in the next round with a 24 – 13 win at Ivybridge. No such joy for Stithians in the Junior Vase as they crashed out 50 – 6 at Bristol Saracens.

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts


Throttled by Instagram because of too many API requests.