Town overcome fiesty Matson

Photo Tyler Gendall receives the “Tony Mead” Memorial Shield as Cornwall U.20 Player of the Year from BBC Radio Cornwall’s Dick Straughan

Camborne maintained their push near the top of Tribute South West 1 West on Saturday with a 27-15 win over Gloucestershire side Matson.

You can read my match report in the link.

After the match head-coach Liam Chapple gave me his thoughts on the game. He said. “The conditions played a massive part in the game today; we won the toss and elected to play into the wind. We rode out the storm first half and then took control in the second period scoring four good tries in the second half.

“We were perhaps a little too impatient during the first half when we spurned chances to score, in the second half we were more patient and the scores came.

“We knew what to expect from Matson and some of our younger players will now understand what they are likely to face up there in the return, you have got to let the rugby do the talking and not fall in to the trap they want to set. I was proud that the boys kept their discipline and stuck to the game plan to get the five points.”

Matson were certainly a hard physical side and I thought local referee Nicholas Searle did well to keep the game under control, there were just a couple of bouts of handbags as the visitors looked to provoke Camborne.

Also disappointing was the fact that one of their “supporters” elected to boo Grant Thirlby’s kick at goal. There is no need for that sort of behaviour, after a good talking to I am pleased that he desisted from further boorish behaviour!

St. Austell showed improved form despite losing at home to leaders Ivybridge 14-12. Having gone down 14-0 early in the game Saints fought back with four penalties from Dan Pearce before Adam Kellow was deemed held up over the line in stoppage time, so close to a morale boosting win.

In the British & Irish Cup; Cornish Pirates almost repeated their league success at Castle Park but in the end lost their second pool game to Doncaster Knights 29-25.

Paul Jarvis did the damage against the Pirates with three tries.

You can read Martin Woollatt’s match report in the link. plus Ian Davies’s reaction here

Having been awarded the Cornwall Under 20 Player of the Year award this week it was disappointing to learn that young prop Tyler Gendall will miss the rest of the season due to an ACL injury.

He has been a sensation in the Pirates’ front-row seemingly improving with each game. I wish him all the best as he battles to get back to full fitness following surgery.

In National League 2 South; it was defeats for both Cornish clubs. Redruth travelled to Hyde Park to take on high-flyers Taunton. The Reds sensed a win at the break as they led 17-10 thanks to tries from hooker Richard Brown and No 8 Kyle Marriott both converted by scrum-half Ashley Hosking who also added a penalty.

Taunton stormed back in the second half, however Redruth had a chance to perhaps tie the game in the final moments but the chance went begging at Taunto held on for a 24-17 win. Still a losing bonus point for the Reds who continue to pick up points from all their games thus far this season. Report here

Photo – Greg Goodfellow receives the “Bill Osborne” Memorial Shield as Cornwall Player of the Year from BBC Radio Cornwall’s Dick Straughan

Disappointment for the Cornish All Blacks who let slip a 22-5 half-time lead to succumb at Polson Bridge 26-22 to Chinnor.

Director of Rugby Neil Bayliss, summed it up when he said that his side needs to play for 80 minutes not just 60!

When they did play they scored tries through forwards Ben Hilton (2) and Jamie Salter with Matt Shepherd kicking the rest of the points. Report here

In Tribute Western Counties West; frustration for Truro as their game at St. Clements was abandoned after 47 minutes when referee Al Denham picked up an injury. They were leading Tiverton 17-9 at the time but will have to do it all over again.

Wadebridge Camels spanked Penryn 32-0 at the Molesworth Field. Camels scored tries through Gary Gynn (2), Matt Ballard, Richard Treleaven and Ben Miskowicz with Mark Kempthorne adding a penalty and two conversions.

Struggling St. Ives lost at home to Okehampton 59-10 scoring tries through Tom Chandler and Mark Eager.

In London 2 SW, London Cornish lost for the first time this season at Warlingham 16-15. See Mark Digby’s match report in the previous blog entry.

In Tribute Cornwall and Devon League; Pirates Amateurs continue to hang on to the coat-tails of leaders Withycombe after defeating Paignton 33-10 at the Mennaye.

Steve Kent (2), Nick Hitchens, Rhys Brownfield and Jamie Semmens all crossed for the Amateurs with Brownfield kicking four conversions.

Saltash are in third following their 53-11 win against cross-Tamar foes OPM’s at Moorlands.

Whilst Liskeard Looe won the basement battle at South Molton 21-18.

Reports on both games from the Plymouth Herald in the link.

Bodmin got their first league win of the season defeating Honiton at Clifden Park 41-22, with Paul Carter scoring three tries and Wendon and Josh Taylor the other two. Tayloe added all five conversions plus a couple of penalties.

Bude defeated Hayle at Bencoolen 30-23. There was a brace of tries scored by both Harry Goodrun and Rick Herzog with Adam Williams also crossing. Goodrum also dropped a goal and Alex Rakhshami kicked a conversion.

For Hayle Scott Harvey and Neil Mitchell scored tries with Dan Magee kicking the rest of the points.

Falmouth lost at Crediton 22-3 with Justyn Irons kicking their sole points with a penalty.

In Tribute Cornwall 1; there were wins for Newquay Hornets 35-5 at home to Stithians, Illogan Park away to School of Mines 22-14, Veor defeated Helston 48-8 at Wheal Gerry and Perranporth who won at Roseland 5-3.

In Tribute Cornwall 2, Lanner travelled to Camelford and won 29-0, whilst St. Just defeated Redruth Albany 19-12.

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts