The White Rose again dash Cornish dreams



By Bill Hooper at the Recreation Ground with Photos courtesy Of Simon Bryant Iktis photo

Cornwall’s dream of a first Twickenham final at this level since 2002 were ruthlessly crushed by a Yorkshire side full of running who ran in eleven tries. Six coming from a potent back three of full-back Robbie Davidson and wingers Rob Rekis and man-of-the-match Ben Magee, who bagged a hat-trick.

Photo – Cornwall prop Tommy Phillips feels the force of Yorkshire’s Brodie Wilson

After the match Cornwall coach Bryn Jenkins held his hand up and conceded that there were no complaints: “On the day we were beaten by a very good team, we had hoped for better but it just wasn’t to be. Naturally I am very disappointed for the lads and all the hard work they have put in this season, it’s the furthest we have come for twelve years.”

Whilst in the Yorkshire camp head coach Anthony Posa was delighted with his side’s fine performance: “I am really proud of the lads today, we have travelled a long way not knowing what to expect but everything clicked. Credit to Cornwall who threw everything at us near the end to try and get a score but we held out and that was equally satisfying.”

Yorkshire kicked off in bright sunshine with stiff breeze at their backs and immediately had Cornwall under pressure camping in the 22.

The Cornish scrum hitherto a major force found themselves under pressure from the Yorkshire pack as the visitors elected to scrum a penalty from five meters out, the drive saw skipper and No.8 Josh Burridge claim the opening try.

Less than two minutes later Yorkshire were in again as the ball was moved wide to the speedy Rekis who romped in at the scoreboard corner. Fly-half Chris Bell was on cue with the conversion, the first of four successful kicks in the tricky wind.

Cornwall were clearly rattled and it got worse when moments later centre Jack Simmons was yellow carded for a clumsy tackle that caused a major dust up between both sets of players. Yorkshire lock Declan Dunn was also sent to the cooler for his involvement in the fracas leaving both sides with fourteen men.

It didn’t appear to affect the Yorkshire lads too much as further powerful, straight running aided by some missed first up tackles saw centres Elliot Morgan and Oliver Fewtrell cross before the half-hour mark for a 26 point lead.

Photo – Rhys Brownfield kicked Cornwall’s only points

From a rare Cornish incursion up to the Yorkshire 22, centre Rhys Brownfield kicked a penalty.

Leading up to half-time both sides again found themselves down to fourteen men as props Tommy Phillips (Cornwall) and Joe Fell (Yorkshire) were sin-binned for an altercation.

Cornwall need a good start to the second half to stand any chance of making a fist of it, instead it was more of the same from Yorkshire.

A loose kick out the Cornwall 22 was gathered by the impressive Rekis who set off on a diagonal run to link with fellow wing Magee, the Ilkley flyer raced into the Park Gate corner with consummate ease.

Photo – Jack Simmons tries to evade Yorkshire’s James Thompson

Cornwall had a brief moment of territory down in the Yorkshire 22, with the Redruth duo of Dan Rutter and Phillips almost manufacturing a scoring chance.

Yorkshire countered in style with Magee slipping a tackle and notching his second score, suddenly Yorkshire were 3-36 ahead.

Any thoughts of a second half comeback had been well and truly blown asunder as Cornwall continued to chase shadows.

Further tries from Magee, Fewtrell, Davidson lock George Hedgley and Rekis put the icing on the cake for Yorkshire, whilst for Cornwall the sound of the final whistle couldn’t come quickly enough.

The White Rose will play Berkshire in the final on 3 May, after they accounted for Eastern Counties in a tighter affair 32-30.

Cornwall 3 pts

Penalty – Brownfield

Yellow Cards – Simmons (18), Phillips (35)

Yorkshire 63 pts

Tries – Burridge, Rekis (2), Morgan, Fewtrell (2), Magee (3), Davidson, Hedgley, Conversions – Bell (4)

Yellow Cards – Dunn (18), Fell (35)

Cornwall: C Swan, A Taylor (both Cardiff Met), J Simmons (Hartpury Coll), R Brownfield (Pirates Ams), J Woodward (Wadebridge Camels), D Rutter, S Fox; T Phillips, T-L Southworth (all Redruth), J Tyack (St. Ives), T Prisk (Redruth, Capt), A Hughes (Penryn), S Furse (Newquay Hornets), J Haines (Cornish All Blacks), N Stanleick (Camborne).

Replacements (all used): J Martin (Truro), R Stevens (Hayle), D Marsh (Truro), A Smith (Redruth), L Hattam (Exeter Uni), L Thomas (Redruth), T Eley (Truro).

Yorkshire: R Davidson (Hull), R Rekis (Blaydon), E Morgan (Northumbria Uni), O Fewtrell (Leeds Beckett Uni), B Magee (Ilkley), C Bell (Huddersfield), J Thompson (Newcastle Uni); J Fell (Otley), W Scholey (Newcastle Uni), C Ward (West Park Leeds), D Dunn (Otley), G Hedgley (Darlington MP), J Coser (Harrogate), B Wilson (Durham Uni), J Burridge (Capt, Wharfedale).

Replacements (all used): N Jackson (Cleckheaton), H Wales (Otley), L Harris (Leeds Uni), J Plunkett (Cleckheaton), J Walker (Huddersfield), E Hinchcliffe (Heath), T Battye (Doncaster Phoenix).

Referee: Chris Newton (SW Group)

Crowd: 563

Man-of-the-match:  Ben Magee (Yorkshire) three tries and showed plenty of pace and willingness to run with the ball.

Further photos courtesy of John Ashton from Yorkshire in link 1   & link 2

Posted in Bill's Blog

0 comments on “The White Rose again dash Cornish dreams
1 Pings/Trackbacks for "The White Rose again dash Cornish dreams"
  1. […] The White Rose again dash Cornish dreams […]

Older posts


Throttled by Instagram because of too many API requests.