The majority of the Cornish clubs results this weekend were as dismal as the weather, the exception being Mount’s Bay who once again picked up a fine win on their travels at Midlands side Luton. Trailing only 6-3 at half-time thanks to a Lee Jarvis penalty Bay soon had the lead following a fine break by Tyron Child which saw John Marlin in at the corner, Jarvis adding the conversion. Following some fine work by the pack Bay increased their lead with a second converted try this time from Ben Hilton. The visitors superiority upfront was then rewarded by the awarding of a penalty try which, Jarvis converted for a 24-6 lead. To their credit Luton never gave up and were rewarded by two tries one of which was converted for a final score of 24-18 to the Bay who thus cemented their position at the top of National League 3 South.

Not a good day for either of our sides in National League 1, the Cornish Pirates lost the local derby with old rivals Plymouth Albion 9 – 6 at the Brickfields. Ross Laidlaw kicked three first half penalties for Albion, whilst Gareth Steenson replied with two for the Pirates. A record crowd of 6,381 saw the drama unfold.

It wasn’t any better at Polson Bridge where the Cornish All Blacks lost at home 0 – 20 to Esher the side who were promoted with them last season from National League 2. Coaches Chris Brown and Jon Hill will be very disappointed to have been nilled at home. Their run of matches up towards Christmas doesn’t get any easier with Bedford next up!

Redruth found it difficult against a well-organised Otley side who came down from National 1 last season losing at the Recreation Ground 13 – 7 (See my match report on the main site). Mark Richards scored the Reds’ try with Gareth Griffiths kicking the conversion. Redruth are still five points from getting out of the relegation zone in National League 2.

In the regional leagues some joy for St. Ives as they registered their first point since the opening day of the season with a 7 – 7 draw at home to Weston-super-Mare in South West 1. Stuart Turnbull scored the try for the Hakes, which was converted by Josh Stevens.

In South West 2 West bottom side Camborne hosted top dogs Exmouth, with the visitors only just prevailing 16 – 15 in a hard fought encounter. All the Cherry & Whites scores came through tries all scored by the forwards, hooker Andrew Smith, prop Ryan Worden and lock Nathan Curnow. Hopefully this close result will give the boys heart to have run the league leaders so close.

In Western Counties West it was Cornish derby day for all four of our sides. Bude hosted Wadebridge Camels in the North Cornwall derby with the boys from Bude running out winners by 12 – 7. Bude scored a couple of tries either side of half-time through prop Matt Williams which was converted by brother Paul and flanker Dave Uglow. Sean Hawkey scored and converted the Camels only try.

At the Memorial Ground Penryn took on Hayle in a match between two struggling sides this season. The Lions took the honours with a 13 – 6 win to leave the Borough rooted to the foot of the table. Penryn did lead at one point 6-3 thanks to two Taron Peacock penalties to one from Stuart Trathen before Richard Spear scored a try to leave the Lions 8 – 6 up at the break. James Jago then scored a second try for Hayle to clinch the win.

In the Cornwall & Devon league the top two Newquay Hornets and Truro both won to pull away slightly from the rest of the chasing pack. The Hornets saw off visitors Honiton 38 – 7. With the elements behind them first half Newquay wasted no time in building up a good advantage scoring five tries for a 33 – 0 advantage at the break, thanks to tries from Scott Martin, Andy Dixon (2) and Sam Cullen, with Ryan Johns kicking three penalties and a couple of conversions. Although Honiton scored a converted try in the second half, Hornets had the last word when Rob McIntyre scored their fifth try of the game.

Up in London 3 SW, London Cornish enjoyed another fine win at the Richardson Evans Memorial Ground defeating K.C.S. Old Boys by 54 – 13 (the usual excellent match report from Dickon Moon can be found on the London Cornish thread in the forums).

Truro beat Wessex in a fiesty match at St. Clements 18 – 7. Scott Martin kicked a couple of penalties for the home side before having to leave the field with a head injury which required a trip to Treliske. Justin Irons and Mitchell Ewins scored tries the first of which Ross Martin converted.

Falmouth entertained Okehampton at the Rec winning by a point 14 – 13. Falmouth’s try was scored by former Redruth and St. Ives player Ashley Lawton with James Instance kicking three penalties.

The CRFU have unveiled plans for a new shirt to mark the CRFU’s 125th Anniversary. The new shirt, which will be manufactured by Kooga, will appear next year and will be available through Whirlwind Sports outlets. A training shirt will also be available and that should be in the shops next month.

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts