Lady luck isn’t shining much up at Polson at the moment as the Cornish side let slip a 20-5 advantage after 50 mins to lose at Monks Lane 24 – 23. Matt Jess scored Launceston’s first try which, was converted by Jon Fabian, Newbury hit back whilst the visitors were down to fourteen men after Neil Clark had been sent to the sin bin, with former Cornish Pirate Chris Morgan grabbing the try. Launceston added two Fabian penalties to stretch their lead to 13-5 at the break.

Just after the re-start, Scott Ireland made a strong break linking with Fabian who in-turn found Andy Birkett who galloped in for a score, Fabian’s conversion put the Cornish All Blacks in a strong position. It was not to be, ironically it is the driving maul, which Launceston have used to such great effect these past seasons which is now their undoing, they were also undone by the unpredictable England 7’s player Isoa Damudamu who set up Newbury’s second and third tries scored by Tim Walsh and Dave Rees. Hooker Paul Fincken scored the Blues fourth try from the a catch-and-drive which Walsh converted to nudge the home side ahead, despite a late rally Launceston couldn’t score again. With the Pertemps Bees winning, Launceston are back on the bottom of National League 1.

On Sunday at Camborne the Cornish Pirates made hard work of overcoming a limited Rotherham side by 28-18, however they did manage to claim all five points in scoring four tries. The Titans built up a 10 point lead early in the first half with Jamie Blackwood kicking a penalty and then converting a try by former Pirate Neil Chivers. At last the Pirates got on the scoreboard with a try from lock Joe Beardshaw converted by Gareth Steenson to leave the Pirates 3 points adrift at half-time 10-7.

It wasn’t long before the Pirates edged ahead when hooker Nathan Kemp barged over for Steenson to add the extras, 14-10. Blackwood pegged the Pirates back with a penalty after 47 mins. The Pirates brought on fresh legs to maintain their momentum, with one of the fresh players scrum-half Ed Fairhurst darting in for the third try which Steenson again bettered, 21-13. Following a stoppage for an injury to Titan player Neil Cochrane, the Pirates sealed the bonus point when Iva Motusaga scored the Pirates fourth try with Steenson adding his fourth conversion of the match. The Titans did have the final say when Jamie Sutton scored a late try for the visitors to complete the scoring.

In National League 2, Redruth gave their best display of the season to date with 27-9 win over high-flyers Stourbridge scoring four tries in the process. Flanker Nathan Pascoe scored the first Reds try after only 4 mins following good work from No8 Mark Bright. Four minutes later and it was hooker Glen Cooper scoring from a catch-and-drive. The Reds scored a third try after 24 mins through Mark Bright who combined well with PJ Gidlow, Griffiths’ second conversion saw the Reds leading 19-0. Stourbridge did get back into the game with their fly-half Rod Petty kicking three penalties to bring the Midlanders back to 19-9 early into the second half. Griffiths calmed any nerves with a neat drop goal on 75 mins before Lewis Vinnicombe skated in to the corner after the Reds pack took a heal against the head to seal the five points. Redruth will look forward to entertaining Stourbridge again on December 8th in the EDF-Energy National Trophy 3rd Round.

There was only one other league encounter involving a Cornish club this weekend Falmouth lost in a re-arranged Cornwall & Devon League encounter at Wessex 16-6.

Elsewhere and it was EDF-Energy Cup weekend. In the National Trophy 2nd Round, Mount’s Bay easily booked a third round tie at Southend when they defeated Hertford by an impressive 74-3. The Bay ran in eleven tries with Lee Jarvis and Jamie Semmens each grabbing three-a-piece. Tim Mosey scored a brace whilst their were also tries for debutant Tyron Child, Jon Marlin and prop Tony Stevens. Jarvis kicked a penalty and four conversions with Mosey kicking a further four conversions to wrap up the scoring.

No such joy for the other Cornish club playing in the 2nd Round, St. Ives found Ealing to hot to handle losing 40-3 with Josh Stevens kicking the Hakes only points.

In the Intermediate Cup, Cornish interest was ended when Camborne lost at home to Coney Hill 33-17, Andrew Smith, Dave Roberts and Joe Parma scored tries for the Cherry & Whites.

In the Senior Vase 3rd round, Wadebridge Camels won at Minehead Barbarians 30-16, Camels scored five tries with doubles for Alisdair MacLennan and Richard Trealeaven, with Neil Maneer also dotting down.

London Cornish are also through following a fine 47-10 win at Old Ashmoleians (see Dickon Moon’s fine report in the forms).

Bude bowed out beaten 24-0 at Cullompton.

In the Junior Vase there were 4th Round wins for Liskeard & Looe 35-28 over South Molton, Saltash winners at Totnes 34-3, Stithians who saw off Devonport HSOB’s 59-10 and St. Austell victors over Torrington 19-13. There was defeat for Perranporth who lost at home to OPM’s 26-3.

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts