Camborne made it back-to-back home wins witha five try win against a Cullompton side that until today had conceded just sixteen points during their opening three league games, reports Bill Hooper from the Recreation Ground.

Playing against a stiff wind during the first half the Cherry and Whites pack were in rampant form. There was an inspirational performance from skipper, No.8 Dave Roberts, who carried a tremendous amount of ball, whilst the front row of Nigel Endean, Sam Bartle and Will Webster were always in the thick of the action, along with lock James Goldsworthy who caught the eye in the lineout and in the loose.

Camborne took the lead on 10 minutes when a penalty was kicked to the corner, from the catch-and-drive by Goldsworthy the ball was moved wide with centre Steve Kenward crashing over in a pile of bodies.

In the tricky wind fly-half Dave Mankee kicked an excellent conversion.

From the re-start Camborne were caught offside presenting Cullompton with a chance to claw back three points, which centre and skipper Adam Pearce gratefully accepted.

Camborne continued to enjoy the better of the exchanges and it was no surprise that they doubled their advantage just after the half-hour mark when another good drive from the forwards was finished off with a second try scored by lock Shaun Buzza, Mankee was again on the money with the extras.

Cullompton enjoyed their best period just prior to half-time. Pearce was unlucky when a penalty attempt cannoned off an upright, but he was on cue with the conversion to wing Paul Baker’s try to make the half-time score 14-10 to Town.
Camborne came out fired up for the second half and before long they had scored a third try as full back Joe Parma took scrum-half Dean Pascoe’s pass to dot down.

Tempers became a little frayed resulting in Cullompton’s flanker Sean Mardell sin-binned for some foul play.

Mankee stretched Camborne’s advantage with the resulting penalty from in front of the sticks.

Flying winger Rob Floyd made the most of a blindside break to score Camborne’s bonus point try in the scoreboard corner.

Cullompton reduced the deficit with a penalty kicked by Pearce and no doubt harboured hopes of snatching a losing bonus point, but those hopes were dashed as Floyd was put in with a delightful pass from replacement Joel Matavesi to score his second try of the game and Camborne’s fifth.

Centre Grant Thirlby who had assumed kicking duties from the departed Mankee, kicked an excellent touchline conversion to complete the scoring for a 34-13 score-line.

Camborne 34 pts
Tries – Kenward, Buzza, Parma, Floyd (2), Conversions – Mankee (2), Thirlby, Penalty – Mankee

Cullompton 13 pts
Try – Baker, Conversion – Pearce, Penalties – Pearce (2)
Yellow Card – Mardell (56)

Camborne: J Parma, R Floyd, S Kenward, G Thirlby, A Hunt, D Mankee, D Pascoe;
N Endean, S Bartle, W Webster, S Buzza, J Goldsworthy, G Hall, R Spargo, D Roberts (capt).

Replacements (all used); L Hocking, M Woolcock J Matavesi

Cullompton: M Richards, P Baker, A Pearce (capt), T Harold, M Busch, A Brooks, J Shere; J Woof, D Driscoll, C Grant, O Reed, O Kittow, J Turner, S Mardell, A Ford

Replacements: A Isaac, S Vercoe, A Longden

Referee: Darren Curry (Cornwall RRS)

Crowd: 453

Posted in Bill's Blog

  1. Stuart Hoy says:

    ……thanks Bill! ……Stu Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 18:12:14 +0000 To:

Older posts