IT WAS A DAY OF HIGH EMOTION AT REDRUTH on Saturday as Redruth Director of Rugby took charge at home for the final time. The team overcame the events of the day to record a hard-fought 21-17 win over a side battling relegation.  There is still the small matter of the final game away at Shelford next Saturday, but this was the big celebration of his time at Redruth.

He richly deserved the standing ovation he was afforded by the Redruth supporters prior to the match. There were as you would expect numerous presentations made to him on the day and he was humbled by the numerous messages he had received prior to the game. It was also good to see Nigel Hambly present along with former players such as Richard Carroll, the Whitworth brothers and many others.

After the final whistle Penberthy reflected a little on his time at the club, if ever the term man and boy was appropriate then this was it. Asked about his favourite role over the years he answered unequivocally. “This, being involved with this group of players, skipper Craig Bonds has been here the whole ten years, so he knows what I am talking about. We built something very special between us and it is only me and the players that know what that is. The fun that we have had travelling the length and breadth of England, thousands of miles together. Whatever I have asked of them they have done it, you can’t ask for more than that.

Asked about his favourite trip over the years.“Wharfedale. Fantastic place, beautiful setting, with some great people. It was always a two night trip and the clubhouse up there is so hospitable. Tough place to play and they played a similar style to us, always the trip I looked forward the most to”.

Looking forward Penberthy feels that the club is in good hands with Adrian Edwards taking over next season. “There is a good group of players here, no doubt Adrian will bring in some players. I am sure he will build on what we have and take the club on again”.

You can read Bill Sobey’s match report from the Western Morning News in the link

The Cornish All Blacks completed their away program on a high with a 17-10 win at Taunton. Their final game at Polson on Saturday will be against champions elect Old Albanians, it promises to be a titanic tussle. Kieron Lewitt and Jake Murphy scored the All Blacks’ tries with Lewitt adding both conversions and a penalty.

It’s all over in the Tribute regional leagues. In Tribute South West 1 West, all our sides won on the final day. Camborne won 24-14 at Cullompton thanks to tries from Sam Matavesi, Dean Pascoe and Steve Kenward. Dave Mankee and Grant Thirlby kicking the points.

Wadebridge Camels defeated play-off hopefuls Avonmouth Old Boys 18-13 at the Molesworth Field. Tries from skipper Gary Gynn and hooker Matt Ballard and two conversions and a penalty from James Grubb saw them end the season on a high.

Though condemned to swift return to Tribute Western Counties West next season, Penryn finished on a high defeating Oldfield Old Boys 24-17 at the Memorial Park. Grant Randlesome Ben Keay and George Jones got the Borough’s tries with Taron Peacock kicking the other points. The game marked the end of coach Adryan Winnan’s tenure as he is stepping down due to work commitments.

In Tribute Western Counties West, St. Austell had a walkover against Ivybridge as the Devonians had no front row replacements, the match was played as friendly with the Saints winning 33-0.

St. Ives bid farewell to this level with an encouraging 46-31 win over Exeter Saracens Neil Corin getting three of the Hakes six tries.

Truro thumped Bude 60-22 at St. Clements scoring nine tries.

Tribute Cornwall and Devon League saw only one Cornish win and that was Falmouth at Veor 24-22 a result which sees Veor relegated to Cornwall 1 next season.

Newquay Hornets lost 47-7 at champions Tavistock, whilst Hayle lost at Totnes 27-26. Plymouth Barbarians ensured survival defeating Pirates Amateurs 33-3 and Liskeard/Looe lost at Teignmouth 39-15.

In the play-off for promotion to the Cornwall & Devon League next season between the runners-up in both Cornwall 1 and Devon 1 OPM’s won at Helston 20-19. Helston were the only Cornish side to make a play-off for promotion this season.

The Cornish Pirates finished their play-off pool matches with a 42-25 defeat at Leeds Carnegie. The result was immaterial as the Pirates had already qualified for the semi-finals, which will see them host Bristol at the Mennaye on Monday 7th May with 12-05 pm kick-off. The return at the Memorial Ground will be on Sunday 13th May with 12-45 pm kick-off.

You can catch Dick Straughan’s match report in the link

Well done to Wadebridge Camels Colts who won the Premiership Cup Final at St. Austell on Sunday defeating Truro 26-19.

The Spanish RFU Cup Final (Copa del Rey) was played on Sunday in Palencia Northern Spain between the cup holders  Cetransa El Salvador and Ordizia from the Spanish Basque region, who were appearing in their first final. In the Ordizia side two Cornishmen Tom Parker and Toby Freeman.

Despite trailing at half-time 21-8 Ordizia staged a tremendous fightback in the second half helped in no small margin by two tries from No.8 Freeman who was named man-of-the-match, to win 30-27.

It was good to see among the Basque flags the flag of St. Piran being carried around the stadium by Parker as his team went on a lap of honour with the cup.

Tomorrow night it’s the TAMAR CUP at Polson, Cornwall v Devon. Ground tickets are £5 with accompained U.16’s getting in free.


Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts