Reds forced to battle for win

Pale Nonu, Head Coach of Redruth interviewed by Redruth, press officer Bill Hooper during the National 2 South match between Redruth and Bury St Edmunds at the Recreation Ground on 7th October 2017, Redruth, Cornwall – Photo mandatory by-line: ©Simon Bryant/Iktis


Cornish rugby weekly round up

By Bill Hooper

In National League 2 South, it proved to be another difficult afternoon for Redruth at home to Bury St. Edmunds. Reduth edged the win 12-9 to make it four wins from six games.

Conditions proved a great leveller, however the Reds did themselves not favours by falling foul of the referee a little too often.

In a close game it boiled down to the side that took it’s chances, Redruth did scoring two excellent tries through prop Loma Kivalu and flanker Chris Fuca with fly-half Nelly Webber adding a conversion.

Bury kept in it with two penalties from skipper Liam McBride in the first half. Replacement and former Launceston star Fraser Honey, in only his second appearance for his new club kicked the only points of the second half and crucially missed a second attempt that would have tied the scores.

Despite the closeness of the game head coach Pale Nonu was pleased Redruth took their chances and felt his side had defended well.

In the South West Premier league it was another tough trip on the road for Camborne as they slipped to defeat at Weston-super-Mare 32-19.

Town had the better of the first half going ahead with a Jake Champion try converted by Murray Westren but a converted try, and a penalty from the hosts saw them lead 10-7 at the break.

In the second half Weston pulled away to 27-7 but Camborne struck back with another converted try by Taron Peacock.

Despite conceding a further, the Cherry and Whites had the final say when Phil Hinchley bagged a third try. By all accounts Kieran Westlake No.8 had another fine game for Camborne.

In Tribute South West 1 West, Launceston made the short trip to Okehampton, although they lost 26-20 they picked up a losing bonus point. The Cornish All Blacks’ tries were scored by George Bone and Ryan Westren both bettered by Dan Pearce who also kicked a couple of penalties.

In London 1 South, another fine performance from London Cornish who came back from a 24-5 half-time deficit to beat Chobham 34-29 on their own patch.

Dave Funston scored the exiles only points during the first half that saw full back Dave Smith limp off with a hamstring injury.

Cornish made some changes during the break and the comeback was on when Mick Goss dotted down for Dan Phoneix to add the extras.

Toby Fletcher scored a third try to bring Chobham back to within a score. Andy Hill then bagged the bonus point with Phoneix again adding the extras to square the game.

Cornish then went ahead thanks to a penalty-try before Phoneix kicked a penalty to give them a ten point cushion with time running out.

Chobham scored a late consolation but it was London Cornish who took the spoils and move up to 5th   in the table, their highest ever position in the leagues.

In Tribute Western Counties West, there was a mid Cornwall derby at St. Clements Hill when Truro entertained St. Austell.

St. Austell led 8-6 at half time thanks to a try from Hector Bright and a penalty from Cav Boyer to a couple of “Eggy” Williams’ penalties for Truro.

In the second half tries from George Tregilgas and Boyer, who also kicked both conversions and a penalty sealed the win.

Both sides do it all again this Saturday in the first round of the CRFU Cornwall Cup kick-off 2:30pm.

Wadebridge Camels battled to a 17-all draw at Burnham-on-Sea scoring tries from Matt Ballard and Ben Hawken with Danny Thomas adding both conversions and a penalty.

St. Ives picked up a fine win on the road defeating hitherto unbeaten Kingsbridge 14-11. Rhys Brownfield kicked three penalties with Cameron Bone getting the vital try two minutes from time.

A slow start cost Falmouth at Chard as the slipped to defeat 24-21. Trailing 14-0, the Eagles pulled a score back through Tim Gay converted by Irons who also kicked a penalty to leave Falmouth 17-10 down at the break.

Despite another Irons’ penalty Chard scored a third converted try. Irons again reduced the arrears with a third penalty.

Seb Firth crossed for a try to ensure a losing bonus point for Falmouth. Video of the game

In the Tribute Cornwall & Devon League, Penryn move to the top following their 38-0 win at Hayle. Borough’s tries came from John Followell, AJ Stansfield, Grant Randlesome, Josh Goldsworthy and Andrew Seviour, all five were converted by scrum-half Tomas Oliver who also added a penalty.

Saltash are hot on the heels of Penryn following their 52-0 win at Torrington. Ashes scored seven tries shared around with Harrison Reburn and Kieran Down adding the conversions and Reburn a further penalty.

Lanner shocked table toppers Honiton 20-13, whilst Bude ran out winner 47-7 against Pirates Amateurs.

All the Tribute Cornwall League results are on the results page.

This Saturday, as already mentioned sees the 1st round of the Tribute Cornwall RFU Knock Out Cup


Falmouth v Bude

Hayle v Pirates Amateurs

Lanner v Wadebridge Camels

Truro v St. Austell

The four 1st round winners will join Launceston, Penryn, St. Ives and Saltash who all received byes in the last eight.

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts


Throttled by Instagram because of too many API requests.