So the first of this season’s Cornish Derbies went the way of Redruth on Saturday as they won 35 – 16 down at the Mennaye against a spirited but limited Mount’s Bay side. It was a marvellous “Cornish” occassion blessed with some fine weather with clear blue skies. You can read my detailed match report on the main site. Mount’s Bay struggled early on in the lineout, it is clear that they need to find a hooker, Danny Clackworthy is a fine prop forward, not a hooker. In scrum-half Greg Goodfellow Bay have a gem of player quick to spot gaps and with pace. Bay’s back three is also exciting with youngsters Josh Matavesi and Billy Harriss teaming up with Mika Mua, but it’s the lack of numbers to choose from, which is going to cost Bay dear this season.

Redruth on the other hand will be delighted to have gained maximum points from their opening two fixtures although coach Nigel Hambly was far from satisfied after the game on Saturday, he felt that his side had coughed up too many chances and hadn’t reached the level of performance they had set pre-match. With un-beaten Blaydon travelling to Redruth next Saturday, Hambly acknowledges that his charges will have to up their performance and he is confident that his players will deliver on the day.

Also in National League 2, The Cornish All Blacks had a close affair at Polson against Cinderford winning 22-20. Trailing early in the game 10-0, the Cornish All Blacks rallyed to go 22-10 up thanks to tries from Mike Myerscough, Tony Roques, Mal Roberts and Tim Collier with Jon Fabian adding a conversion. Cinderford fought back to score two un-converted tries to leave the All Blacks winners.

With no sides in National 3 or South West 1 this season, St. Ives are the next side on the league ladder in South West 2 West, the Hakes got their league campaign off to the best possible start with a win over Newton Abbot by 19-17. Despite being outscored by 3 tries to 1, St. Ives were grateful for the boot of Grant Thirlby who scored 14 points, John Navin scoring the try.

In Western Counties West, Camborne won a high scoring game at the Recreation Ground 35-31 against visitors Withycombe. Town’s tries were scored by skipper Martin Woolcock, centre Alex Hinds, winger Adam Notman and full-back Joe Parma. Fly-half David Mankee kicked three conversions and three penalties.

Newquay Hornets had a great start to life in WCW with a 28-18 win over Minehead Barbarians at the Sportscentre. Try scorers for the Hornets were Romey Vassell, Tom Bazeley and Rob McIntyre with fly-half Sam Cullen kicking the rest of the points.

Wadebridge Camels were winning their game against Ivybridge 23-0 when the game was held up after Camels skipper Gary Gynn suffered a broken leg and had to be airlifted to hospital after a 45 minute delay Ivybridge declined to resume play citing that some of their players had work commitments. The RFU will make a decision as to whether the game will be replayed or not.

Bude made a disappointing start losing 20-10 at home to Devonport Services. Lock Dan Statton scored Bude’s try with Matt Trewin adding the conversion and a penalty.

In London 3 SW, London Cornish made a fine start with a 15-10 win at KCS OB’s . Dickon Moon’s usual report can be found in the forums.

In the Cornwall & Devon league, Truro got off the mark with a huge win at OPM’s by 60-15 running in eight tries with a hat-trick for left-wing Matt Trevail. Luke Trescothick (2), Ross Martin, Sam Vaughan and Marco Danielli were the other try scorers. Scott Martin kicked seven conversions and two penalties.

Penryn back at this level for the first time in many a year scored six tries as they defeated Plymstock Albion Oaks 30-12. Tries were scored by Justin Doney, Darren Pellow, Marek Churcher (2) and Daniel Booth (2).

In the other “Cornish derby” last weekend, Hayle travelled to Saltash and ran out winners by 26-11. Liam Keary, Leon Phoe and David Seager scored the Lions’ tries with Mike Crump kicking the points. For the Ashes, Simon Watson scored a try with Will Virgo kicking a couple of penalties.

It could well be a long season for Falmouth after a disappointing display at Wellington where the Chiefs went down 29-3, full-back Jack Brown dropping a goal for the visitors.

Difficulties are still apparent Cornwall leagues, Illogan Park who won promotion from Cornwall 2 last season have been forced to pull out of league rugby due to a player shortage after many players retired after last season. St. Just, not so long ago a Western Counties West side, almost did the same but have managed to carry on. Last Saturday St. Agnes were unable to fulfill their fixture against Redruth Albany. Not I am afraid a healthy state of affairs.

Sunday’s National League 1 encounter at Camborne between the Cornish Pirates and Exeter Chiefs was a cracking affair played out in front of a crowd of around 5,000. The Chiefs won the game 32-23, you can read my match report and comments on the main site.

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts