A narrow 31-25 win at Cross Green against newly promoted Otley, left the Cornish Pirates head coach Mark Hewitt fuming at the final whistle. Not at all happy with the level of performance from his side, he has thrown down the challenge to his players to turn it around pronto. Rhys Jones made a league debut at fly-half for the Pirates as Hewitt hoped to improve his options at 10. It turned out to be a mixed afternoon for the former Sale Shark. still the Pirates managed to run in five tries with a brace from Aisea Havili, lock Mike Burak, the Canadian international making his league debut also, hooker Rob Elloway and winger Marika Vakacegu, Jones adding three conversions. It’s going to be another week at the coalface for the Pirates as they seek to iron out their problems before Sunday’s match at Camborne against Nottingham.

The National League 2 table looks pretty good this morning with the Cornish All Blacks and Redruth filling the top two places. The CAB’s had a fantastic win on the road up at Blundellsands defeating Waterloo 58-9 scoring eight tries, all scored by backs. Full-back Jon Fabian notched a hat-trick of tries, winger Marc Dibble and centre Jamie Semmens a brace each, whilst replacement Jon Marlin scored the other. Fly-half Adam Staniforth converted four tries and kicked a couple of penalties before going off after 60 minutes, Fabian added two further conversions.

At Redruth another good display from the Reds saw them dispatch Blaydon by 38-12. Full-back Rob Thirlby again showed his class scoring a couple of tries, also setting up winger Nathan Pedley for the Reds’ fourth try, lock Damien Cook crashed over for the Reds’ other score. Fly-half Mark Scrivener had a great day with the boot kicking 18 points.

Mount’s Bay are still looking for their maiden win at this level as they lost their third match going down by 44-13 at Stourbridge. Bay lost skipper Nick Burnett to a red card in the first half when they were still very much in the match. Early in the second half Bay found themselves down to 13 men as lock John Griffiths was sin-binned. Stourbridge pressed home their advantage. For Bay, fly-half Dan Hawkes kicked a penalty and full-back Andy Birkett try accounted for their first-half points. In the second half prop Adam Flide scored a try.

In Tribute South West 2 West, St. Ives couldn’t follow up their opening day win crashing 38-7 at Taunton. Stuart Turnbull scoring a last minute try converted by Ross Callaghan for the Hakes points.

In Tribute Western Counties West, Camborne made it two wins from two as they defeated North Cornwall rivals Bude 32-14 at the Recreation Ground. The Cherry & Whites scored five tries through winger Shane Woods, No. 8 Martin Woolcock, fly-half David Mankee (2) and winger Alan Notman. Mankee also kicked a penalty and two conversions. For Bude full-back Julian Morris scored both their tries, which fly-half Matt Trevail converted.

In the battle of the Hornets at Hutton Moor, Weston Hornets got the better of Newquay Hornets 19-13, for Newquay Jason Keyter and Jason Caruana scored tries with fly-half Sam Cullen kicking a penalty.

Up at Minehead Barbarians, Wadebridge Camels lost 12-8, centre Jason Olivey with a try and Jake McCarroll a penalty accounted for the Camels’ points.

In London 3 SW, London Cornish were held to a draw at home by Guildford 17-17, Dickon Moon’s usual excellent report is available in the link.

The Cornwall & Devon league also has two Cornish clubs in the top two positions with Truro just edging Penryn. Truro defeated Okehampton at St. Clements 22-11, Joe Williamson got the try with the Martin brothers kicking the other points, Scott a conversion and three penalties, Ross two drop goals.

Penryn travelled to Tavistock for the second time in three weeks, wheras they lost in the Senior Vase they prevailed in the league winning on this occassion 25-13. The Borough scored three tries thanks to Alex Sutheridge, Taron Peacock and Josh Chambers, Sutheridge kicking two conversions and a couple of penalties. A brawl near the end saw Peacock and Tavistock’s Adrian Baker red-carded.

Hayle lost at home to Bideford 29-14, Kevin Jenkin scored the Lions’ try with Mike Crump kicking two penalties and a drop goal. Saltash lost a close affair at home 19-18 to OPM’s, Ben Davenport scored both of the Ashes’ tries with Will Virgo kicking the other points. No luck for Falmouth as they lost to Crediton for the second time in three weeks as the Devonians followed up their Vase win with a 29-0 win at the Rec.

A reminder to all current members, Trelawny’s Army Supporters Club AGM is fast approching, it’s due to be held on Wednesday 1st October at the Visitor Centre St. Austell Brewery at 7-30pm. Apart from the usual buisness, the Cornwall Senior Player of the Year and the Cornwall U.20 Player of the Year awards will be announced. Refreshments will be available.

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts