Redruth make it two wins on the bounce

Two bonus point wins to start the campaign would have been just the start Redruth head coach Steve Larkins would have hoped for.

The latest success, a 30-17 win, was hard fought against a resilient Southend side, with a touch of back-to-the-wall stuff as the Reds defended manfully with just twelve men at one stage. Tries from Ben Priddey, Tom Cowan-Dickie, Brett Rule and Alex Ducker plus the boot of Murray Westren saw the Reds home.

We shall know a bit more about the strength of this start after next Saturday’s long trip to Bury St Edmunds.

Redruth head coach Steve Larkins was delighted by his side’s performance. He said: “Today was a step up from last week, Southend played very well and will probably feel they should have had more from the game, but we more than matched them and scored some very good tries at vital times.”

Larkins felt that the two early second half tries scored by his side were the turning point of the game: “Brett Rule’s try right at the start of the second half really lifted the boys and broke them a little bit and to get the bonus point try through Alex Ducker just moments later really put us in a strong position.”

Discipline let his side down at times and they were fortunate that Southend failed fully to exploit the situation: “Being down to twelve men is never good, but our defence was solid and we only conceded the one converted try that showed great character as much as getting the five points I am equally pleased that Southend went away with nothing points-wise from the game.”

Larkins was also pleased with the performance of his younger players, some of whom were playing at home for the first time: “I was really pleased with the performance of the younger players,” he added. “I thought Brad Janes on the wing had a very good game. Luke Hattam in the second row was on and off with the rotations but kept his intensity, and then the experience of players like Tom Cowan-Dickie and Pale Nonu gives you go forward, with players coming back selection for next weekend will be a headache but one I am happy to have.”

Another tough afternoon for the Cornish All Blacks as they lost 49-10 at Canterbury with recent signing from Saltash Ollie Mulberry getting their only try, converted by Rhys Brownfield. Fraser Honey kicked an early penalty for the visitors. With Taunton due to visit Polson this Saturday, it doesn’t get any easier.

In the Championship, the Cornish Pirates suffered another two-point defeat in Jersey, despite scoring a couple of converted tries from Alex Cheesman, with Kieran Hallett adding a conversion and penalty.

Of greater concern will be the loss of skipper Chris Morgan, who has dislocated his shoulder is likely to be absent for a while.

Cornish Pirates’ Director of Rugby, Ian Davies, felt the game could have gone either way: “The teams have contrasting styles and it could have gone either way. Bonus points are important, and one is better than none, but we could easily have come away with four points from the game.”

He added: “Providing quicker ball is an area that we will need to look at, as is to stop giving away silly penalties.”

In Tribute South West 1 West, Camborne bounced back from their opening day defeat to Weston with a 45-19 win over their nearest opponents this season Bideford.

The back-row were in sparkling form with Sam Matavesi (3), Dave Roberts (2), Jamie Goldsworthy and replacement Cameron Bone all scoring tries.

New signing fly-half Ben Stean kicked five conversions.

In Tribute Western Counties West, a first win for Saltash as they won 20-16 at Cullompton. Todd Croft and Will Morton scored tries whilst Max Veneables added both conversions and a couple of penalties.

Wadebridge Camels made up for their disappointing loss on the first day defeating Torquay Athletic at the Molesworth Field 22-16. Danny Thomas, Matt Tarby and player-coach Mike Rawlings scored their tries with James Grubb kicking the rest of the points.

Penryn recorded their first win with a 26-20 win at the Memorial Ground against Crediton. Will Black (2) and Ben Trevaskis scored tries, with Jack Willey kicking a conversion and penalty and James Salisbury kicking a couple of penalties.

St. Austell came a cropper at Kingsbridge going down 34-0.

Truro travelled to Devonport Services but lost 38-21. Scott Martin scored a couple of tries with Toby Armstrong kicking the other points.

In the Tribute Cornwall & Devon League, St. Ives made it two wins with a comprehensive 38-3 win over Paignton. Tries for Hakes were scored by Jamie Prisk, Peter Mabbott, Sam Bristow, Nathan Allan (2) and Neil Corin. Lewis Thomas added four conversions. Despite winning their first two games St. Ives have been docked five league points for failing to fulfil a fixture at the end of last season.

Bude backed up their good draw away last week with a 40-14 win against Honiton, Kyle Speare (2), Joe Wilson, Paul Cholwill, Freddie Saxton and Andy Yates all crossed for the Seasiders with Dan Pearce kicking five conversions.

Falmouth made it two wins on the trot with a 13-10 win at Newquay Hornets.

Hayle were well-beaten 47-3 at Plymouth Argaum, with just a Damien Lynes penalty for the Lions.

Bodmin lost for the second time as Plymstock won 25-8 at Clifden Park.

A good win for Pirates Amateurs as they defeated Tavistock 42-14.

Well, the Rugby World Cup is almost upon us, so good luck to both Jack Nowell (England) and Josh Matavesi (Fiji) as the tournament gets under way.

Best wishes to former Cornwall player Roger Spurrell, who is in Derriford Hospital at the moment; we wish him well for a speedy recovery.

N.B. Apologies that some of the details from games are bit sketchy, but it looks like some clubs failed to file reports for the local Indy for Sunday. No report… can’t really give you much of a mention!

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts