Five tries in last quarter sees Cornish go top!

LCRFC v Farnham 1 a
Cornish attack the Farnham line

Farnham 3-41 London Cornish

Report & Photos by Ben Gilby

A quite incredible final twenty minutes from London Cornish ensured they went back to the top of London Two South-West, with a crushing victory over Jonny Wilkinson’s first side, Farnham.

The first half saw the home side fail to take advantage of the wind which was behind them, and they had only a 21st minute penalty from Christopher Penn to show for it, as Farnham led by those three points to nil.

With the wind now at their backs, it took only five minutes of the second period for ‘The Exiles’ to score the first try of the afternoon, as flying winger Robin Heymann touched down. Luke Spells’ conversion attempt missed. Whilst Cornish had the better of things over the next fifteen minutes, it took a while before this began to show on the scoreboard. Mark Osei-Tutu, with a trademark powerful run got things moving again with his seventh try of the season to extend the visitors’ lead to seven points. Then, there was a rapid fire burst of five tries in just eighteen minutes. Matt Hakes, playing in the centres got the ball rolling with two tries in just three minutes, with Spells adding a conversion for the second. With Farnham now 22-3 down, even their coach, the Harlequins lock George Robson, couldn’t inspire them to make a comeback as Cornish’s speed and confidence was now surging through the black and gold jersey.

LCRFC v Farnham 2 a
Will Carew-Gibbs controls the ball at the back of a maul

With nine minutes left, Robin Heymann scored a delightful try with a hop and skip of a run down the left hand touchline, Spells conversion extended the Cornish lead to twenty-six points. Farnham’s luck well and truly deserted them two minutes later when, following a rare second half sortie into ‘Exiles’ territory, a loose pass was snaffled up by the black and gold’s centre Luke Spells, who galloped between the sticks to dot down, and convert his own five pointer. There was time for one further try at the death, when Cornish forward Harry Somers went over in the left hand corner.

With previous league leaders Tottonians suffering a shock defeat at Old Alleynians, this result put London Cornish two points clear at the summit. ‘The Exiles’ have now won 16 of their last 19 matches.

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts