What a tremendous weekend for Cornish rugby with both the Cornish Pirates and Mount’s Bay reaching their respective EDF-Energy Finals at Twickenham on Sunday 15th April! Congratulations to both clubs, we know you will both do Cornwall proud on the day.

There is no doubt that a massive exodus to TW1 will be taking place that weekend, on a par with the Cornish team’s trips to Twickenham for County Championship finals during the 1990’s. The numbers swelled by many Cornish exiles who will also descend on Twickenham. Between now and the day of the finals the excitement and anticipation will grow and grow. Both the Cornish Pirates and Mount’s Bay will no doubt be making announcements in the very near future with regards to ticket allocations and travel arrangements both on their websites and via the local media. Please listen out for the relevant information.

It must be remembered that the EDF-Energy Cup Final day comprises of four finals, with the Senior Vase kicking off at 10 a.m., the National Trophy Final, Cornish Pirates vs. Exeter Chiefs, kicking off at 12 noon, the Anglo/Welsh Cup kicking off at 3 p.m., and finally the Intermediate Cup Final, Mount’s Bay vs. Dunstablians, kicking-off 5 p.m.

With Cornish clubs about to storm Twickenham it was ironic that this week it was announced that the County Shield Final and the County Plate Final will not be held at Twickenham this season. Should Cornwall win their three matches and top the Southern Group they will be obliged to travel to the winner of the Northern Group for the County Shield Final.

Cornwall took a young side up to Ivybridge yesterday to contest the Tamar Cup with Devon. Despite a brave show the Duchy lost to Devon by 26-3. Mark Stevens of the Western Morning News has kindly let us post his match report from Cross-in-Hand.

There was other important rugby played in Cornwall over the weekend, not least the Cornish All Blacks in National League 2, who played their match-in-hand against Bradford & Bingley at Polson. The Cornish All Blacks ran in eight tries to secure all five points on offer in a 54-14 win to leapfrog the Henley Hawks, back into second spot with a single point advantage over their Oxfordshire rivals. Launceston’s try scorers were scrum-half Richard John, prop Wayne Reed (2), centre Marc Sweeney, winger Andy Matchett (2), flanker Wayne Sprangle and winger Marc Dibble.

Hayle played a re-arranged Western Counties West league match, hosting and defeating Minehead Barbarians 42-7. The Lions scored a penalty try, converted by Jimmy Tresize, who also added a penalty for a first half lead of 10-7. The second half was all one way traffic with Hayle adding further tries through Callum Osborne, Jamie Thomas, James Jago and Tresize again, with Tresize kicking the other points.

Penryn entertained Taunton in South West 2 West and suffered another heavy defeat by 58-17. Chris Mann, Steve Uphill and Chris Johnson scored tries for the Borough, with Justin Hocking adding a conversion.

In the Cornwall & Devon League, Wadebridge Camels won at South Molton by 39-10 to keep the pressure on table toppers Paignton. Skipper Julian Wilce had a day to remember, scoring all seven of the Camels’ tries — a club record in the leagues. James Kneale kicked two conversions for the Camels. A great weekend for Wadebridge Camels as Wilce went on to captain Cornwall in the Tamar Cup match against Devon the following day.

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts