By Bill Hooper at the Recreation Ground

Camborne gave a spirited account of themselves before eventually succumbing to Redruth’s greater fitness during the final quarter in a closely fought Boxing Day derby in front of a good sized crowd.

Having seen the previous Saturday’s league game against Launceston postponed and with no other game until January 12th away at Bournemouth, Redruth’s Director of Rugby Adrian Edwards was keen to give as many of his squad some valuable game time.

“It was a real character test, Camborne played well and put us under the pump at times and some of the guys had to raise their game. Conditions were very difficult to play any decent rugby, but fair-play to Camborne they played well and gave it a real go. In games such as these some people sometimes expect too much, we’ve had a good workout Camborne made us work very hard”.

“Sometimes when we’ve not played for a week we tend to be a little rusty, we had a good build up to the Launceston game and with it being called off it’s disappointing and can affect your next game perhaps we saw little of that today, but still we will take the win and use it in the context of the season towards our next game”.

For Camborne skipper Dave Roberts was pleased with the way his side fronted up against the Reds. “We came out of the blocks flying we had all of the possession during the first fifteen minutes and created a few chances only to be held up over the line or knock the ball on in promising positions”.

“This was a good warm up for our next league game against Old Redcliffians who are currently second in our league, Redruth gave us the work out we needed especially in contact situations. We are looking to build at Camborne and this will only help us towards our ultimate goal which is to get back into the National Leagues”.

“We will look forward to taking on Redruth again at Easter and on today’s showing we hope to improve on today’s performance and pull off a nice surprise on our patch”

The heavens opened just prior to kick-off to add yet more water to an already very wet and muddy pitch.

Redruth kicked off playing down the slope; however it was the Cherry and Whites who settled the quicker.

In quick succession Camborne went close to getting an opening try through winger Rob Floyd, then prop Will Webster was held up over the Reds’ line and thirdly when centre Richie Kevern kicked through towards the Redruth line only for Dean Bonds to get back and save a certain try.

Camborne pressure finally told as former Red Luke Johnson scored a try in the Frame Suite corner on eight minutes.

Camborne fly-half Dave Mankee couldn’t add the extras but at that point Camborne were well worth their lead!

Redruth looked to play their way back into the game and were finally rewarded with good field position to launch a sustained attack on the Camborne line. The Redruth pack began to get the upper-hand, from a scrum near the Camborne line both Redruth locks drove for the line with Luke Collins getting the touchdown.

Ashley Hosking couldn’t add the extras in the difficult conditions for kickers.

Redruth were certainly enjoying the greater possession as the game moved into the second quarter. The back three of Murray Westren, Tom Notman and Dean Bonds looked to run the ball back at the opposition, whilst in the forwards, Damien Cook, Chris Fuca and Darren Jacques were catching the eye.

For the Cherry and Whites, skipper Dave Roberts was in thick of the action along with Ashley Lawton, Jamie Moore and Ben Kemp, whilst in the backs Floyd was full of running as was Johnson.

Just before half-time Redruth finally took the lead, following a series of penalties near the Camborne line, Redruth went for a quick tap penalty which resulted in centre Frazer Kellythorn powering over under the posts, Hosking added the extras for a 12-5 interval lead.

Redruth freshened up their side at half-time with Tom Duncan Owen Hambly and Matt Gidlow on for Collins, Broadbank and Brown.

Camborne elected to change their shirts and brought Dean Pascoe on for Jason Jackson at scrum-half.

With the pitch cutting up, control was at a premium as both sides continued to make errors.

Tempers finally boiled over with a dust up in the Frame Suite corner, which saw Hambly dispatched to the cooler for ten minutes.

Camborne were unable to make the most of the advantage and the game was effectively ended when replacement Neil Turner scored Redruth’s third and final try just moments from the end to confirm the Reds retention of the Rodda’s Milk Cup.

Redruth 17 pts

Tries – Collins, Kellythorn, Turner, Conversion – Hosking

Yellow Card – Hambly (70)

Camborne 5 pts

Try – Johnson

Redruth: M Westren, T Notman, D Bonds, F Kellythorn, C Bonds, A Hosking, N Simmons; D Jacques, R Brown, D Job, D Cook, L Collins, B Priddey, N Broadbank, C Fuca (capt)

Replacements (all used): T Duncan, O Hambly, M Gidlow, G Thirlby, N Turner, R Kessell, J Kessell, B Drew, J Drew, K Smith, J Rayment

Camborne: J Parma, R Floyd, R Kevern, S Kenward, L Johnson, D Mankee, J Jackson; M Hearn, S Bartle, W Webster, J Moore, B Kemp, A Lawton, J Goldsworthy, D Roberts (capt)

Replacements (all used): D Pascoe, L Manna, N Endean, C Bone, M Goldsworthy, M Woolcock

Referee: Simon Lord (CRRS)

Crowd: 1,054

Redruth-man-of-the-match: Damien Cook

Trelawny’s Army Tony Pill Memorial Cup Man-of-the-match award: Chris Fuca (Redruth)

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts


Throttled by Instagram because of too many API requests.