Camborne keep run going with dogged win


The Tribute South West 1 West game at Camborne saw the leaders forced to battle hard to overcome a resilient Clevedon side in a game that at times threatened to erupt into major fisticuffs.

There were four yellow cards in the game with Camborne players being shown three!

It was good to see Ben Drew back playing for the first team after his long lay-off due to a broken leg. He certainly showed no fears putting in some big tackles and looking to get involved.

Having gone behind, Town got ahead thanks to a lovely try from prop Tommy-Lee Southworth who took a deft pass from Richie Kevern to power under the posts. Ben Stean added the conversion.

Two second half penalties from Rhys Brownfield completed the scoring for a 13-5 win.

Director of rugby Liam Chapple whilst happy with the win felt that there was much to look at prior to their next game at Coney Hill.

In the RFU Championship the Cornish Pirates slipped to a second consecutive defeat at the Athletic Ground against a Mark Bright inspired London Scottish. The ex-Red bagged a brace of tries as the Exiles stormed back from a 10-7 deficit at half-time to win 21-10.

Alex Dancer scored the Pirates’ try which was converted by Laurence May who also kicked a penalty.
Pirates have a week off before entertaining Doncaster Knights.

Frustrations abound with the lack of progress on the stadium development, and that appeared to borne out by Ian Davies’ post-match comments on BBC Radio Cornwall, that contract negotiations with some of the current squad were not progressing as he would wish.

In National League 2 South, Launceston were denied a draw with the last kick of the game at Dorking, who won 11-8. Fred Bulut scored the All Blacks try with Sam Chapman kicking a penalty.

In Tribute Western Counties West, Wadebridge Camels took the spoils in the derby game against St. Austell 23-3. Jake Grubb scored a couple of tries with Matt Ballard also crossing for the Camels. James Grubb kicked the other points. For the Saints Cavan Boyer kicked an early penalty.

Saltash are still languishing in the drop zone following an 11-10 defeat at Moorlands to Sidmouth. Steve Hillman scored their try converted by Max Venables who also kicked a penalty.

In the Tribute Cornwall & Devon League, leaders Bude bagged all five points as they defeated Plymouth Argaum 28-3 at Bencoolen.
Olly Denford, Duncan Tout, James Wilson and Kyle Speare all scored tries with Dan Pearce converting all four tries.

There was also only one game in Tribute Cornwall 1, where Lanner leapfrogged Veor winning 16-13 in a game switched to Veor’s Wheal Gerry pitch.
In mid week I took in Truro School’s Nat West Cup quarter-final game against QEGS Wakefield. On a heavy pitch the bigger Wakefield lads comfortably won 20-0 to advance to the semis to be played at Allianz Park against Hampton School.

Truro School can be proud of their achievement of getting that far and they certainly showed plenty of willingness to move the ball.
I understand that the date for the Tribute Cornwall Cup Finals has been moved to Monday May 2nd.

The Club’s Cup quarter-finals were due to be played this weekend but with some pool games still to be played and league games to be re-arranged they have been pushed back.

Congratulations to Jack Nowell and Billy Keast both involved for England last weekend in Italy at senior and under 20 level.

Hopefully this coming weekend will see a few more games played.

Good luck to Camborne School of Mines in the Bottle Match.

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts


Throttled by Instagram because of too many API requests.