CAB’s and St. Austell fly the flag for Cornwall

At the second time of asking the Nuneaton – Cornish All Blacks National Trophy tie took place at Nun’s Liberty Way ground. There was to be no upset as the National League 1 outfit comfortably disposed of their lower league opposition 41-14 to book a place in the fifth round on February 2nd and a home tie against Blackheath.

Starring role must go to tight head prop Wayne Reed as the England Counties front row man helped himself to three tries in the game. Marc Dibble and Matt Jess notched the other Launceston tries with Scott Ireland and Jon Fabian kicking the other points.

The result will give the Cornish All Blacks a fillip before Saturday’s important home National League 1 encounter with Plymouth Albion.

After the traumatic upheaval during the week the Cornish Pirates looked to get back to matters on the field, however the non-appearance of coach Jim McKay at the game on Sunday sent the rumour mill once more into overdrive.

Before the kick-off the crowd rose to show their appreciation for outgoing president Dicky Evans with fulsome applause many wearing black and gold ribbons as a sign of support for his vision.

Both sides exchange penalties early on, before the home side finally made the break though mid way through the first half as Gareth Steenson made the break before feeding centre Paul Devlin who scored the opening try. Steenson’s conversion and penalty before half-time gave the Pirates a 13-3 lead at the pause.

Disappointingly the Cornish Pirates failed to build on their advantage immediately after the break, the game became bogged down with Newbury reducing the deficit with Chris Ashwin kicking his second penalty. In the final ten minutes the Pirates were able to capitalise on Newbury having two players in the bin to score two further tries through flanker Sam Betty and winger James Moore for a final score of 28-6, another potential bonus point went begging, which has certainly become a cause for concern this season.

Redruth maintained their climb up the league table with a fine win against Cambridge in National League 2 by 25-8, my match report can be viewed on the front page of the TASC site.

Mount’s Bay kept up the pace at the top of National League 3 South with a good win at home against tough opponents Dings Crusaders 26-5. Bay scored three tries during the opening half thanks to scores from Tyron Child, Tom Edyvean and Jamie Semmens with Lee Jarvis converting all three for a 21-0 lead at the turn. The second half was more turgid affair, eventually Bay prevailed in getting the bonus point with a length of the field move rounded off by flanker Steve Dyer. Dings did manage a consolation try through winger Ed Haupt.

Not much joy for St. Ives in South west 1 as they once again lost heavily on their travels this time at Maidenhead by 72-0.

Camborne faired little better in South west 2 west losing once again at home this time to Yatton 15-8. Trailing 15-0 at half-time Camborne could only pull back eight points thanks to Dave Mankee penalty and a Tom Hinds try. It looks increasingly like Western Counties West for the Town next season.

Bude entertained Penryn in the latest Cornish derby in Western Counties West with the North Cornwall side winning comfortably 39-16. Bude ran in six tries through Rob Uglow, Andy Yates, Dave Uglow, Matt Trewin, Paul Williams and Steve Yates, Williams kicking the other points. Penryn replied with a try from Andrew Seviour with Alex Sutheridge kicking the Borough’s other points. Sadly, once again, Penryn’s fate is almost certainly sealed for another drop.

In the only other game in WCW, involving a Cornish side, Wadebridge Camels defeated Kingsbridge 43-0 at the Molesworth Field, scoring seven tries without reply, full-back Dan Briskham helped himself to a brace, whilst other scores went to Garry Gynn, Shaun Hawkey, Matt Angwin, Alisdair Maclennan and Sam Stone. Jake McCarroll kicked three conversions with replacement Leigh Charles adding a fourth.

In the Cornwall & Devon League; leaders Newquay Hornets were held at the Sports Centre by Truro, 5-5, Rob McIntyre gave the Hornets the lead only for Truro to level the game five minutes from the end with a try from Lister Metcalfe. Hornets are now joined at the top by Tavistock 21 points with Cullompton a further point behind but crucially with a game in hand! Falmouth’s game against Wessex was called off.

Up in London in London 3 SW, London Cornish defeated Old Reigatians 18-15, to move up to 5th place in the league, their highest ever standing in the leagues. Dickon Moon’s usual excellent report on the match can be found in the forums, despite having to move their home match to the LSE sports grounds.

Interesting to note last week that former county coach Dave “Benjie” Thomas has been handed the task of appointing coaches and sounding out players for this season’s County Shield competition, Richard Lamb (St. Austell) and Ian Morgan (CAB’s Academy) have agreed to coach the Development XV and also the Tamar Cup side, which will play Devon at Launceston on Sunday March 16th, with a 3pm kick-off.

Good to see young Scott Hobson from the Cornish Pirates gain selection for the England U.20’s for this seasons 6 Nations tournament, also the IRB World Junior Championships in Wales in June.

Events last week prevented mention of St. Austell’s fine achievement of reaching the 7th Round of the Junior Vase following a 13-10 win over Plymouth Barbarians. Their reward an away tie on Saturday 2nd February up in London at Chiswick who play in Herts/Middx league 1.

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts