Borough dump Saints out of the Cup

Three Tribute Cornwall Cup quarter-finals were played on Saturday with the winners joining St. Ives in the semi-final due to be played in February.

Mind you it was touch and go at Penryn as the game was delayed when it became apparent that no referee was going to turn up. Luckily Jonathan Plummer stepped in and the game was played.

Penryn got off to a great start and led 19-0 at half-time thanks to tries from Will Payne, Andy Seviour and Josh Chambers with a couple of conversions from Nathan Strick.

No. 8 Grant Randlesome added a fourth try after half-time with Strick kicking a penalty at a vital time just as St. Austell mounted a bit of a comeback thanks to a hat-trick of tries from Cavan Hayne with Liam Freeman adding a conversion.

Borough will entertain St. Ives in the semis.

Up at Wadebridge, the Camels squeezed past Saltash in good game 15-10. Chris Humphery and Will Pengelly scored tries for the Camels with James Grubb kicking a penalty and conversion. For Saltash, Ryan Cruickshanks scored a try with Todd Crofts, deputising for the unavailable Max Venables kicking the conversion and a penalty.

Wadebridge will host holders Camborne in the last four, Town squeezed past a valiant Bude side 20-18, which saw Bude’s Dan Pearce miss a last gasp penalty!

Ben Jordan, Jay Tyack and Tom Hinds scored tries for the Cherry and Whites with Richie Kevern knocking over a penalty and conversion.

For Bude, Adam Black (2) and James Comber scored tries with Pearce adding just the one penalty.

In the Greene-King Championship, the Cornish Pirates failed to build on their win from last week as they lost at Doncaster 28-11. Lock Will Graulich scored a try, whilst fly-half Kieran Hallett landed a couple of penalties.

Redruth made it three wins on the road this season with a 23-17 in at Dorking, which apparently wasn’t much to the liking of the locals!

The Redruth packed proved to be the cornerstone of the win. Tries came from Matt Gidlow and a good old penalty-try, whilst Dave Mankee’s boot added the other points.

The Cornish All Blacks didn’t get their first win of the season, but they did pick up their first points in 33-31 defeat at Polson to visitors Barnes.

Tries were scored by Isaac Hydleman, Lewis Edwards, Jamie Salter, Rhys Brownfield and Eddie McGinley with conversions from Rhys Brownfield (2) and Chris Swash.

There was a full program in Tribute Cornwall 1, Camborne School of Mines defeated Helston on the reserve pitch at Penryn 68-5 to go top of the table.

Illogan Park join them on 10 points following their 32-10 win at St. Agnes.

Liskeard-Looe defeated visitors Lanner 30-9 at Lux Park, whilst Veor got back to winning ways with a 36-8 win over Perranporth.

Launceston 2 remain top of the Duchy League following their 42-0 win at Camels 2.

In the Trelawny’s Army Colts League, Helston remain top after four wins.

This Saturday sees the start of the Tribute Cornwall Clubs Cup fixtures.

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts