Redruth put in a tremendous all round performance to deservedly record their biggest win of the season at the Recreation Ground over spirited opponents Southend, reports Bill Hooper.

Despite looking the better side Redruth lead just 9-3 after 23 minutes, with three Aaron Penberthy penalties against a sole reply from Seasiders’ full back Andrew Frost.

The breakthrough came just a couple of minutes later as scrum half Greg Goodfellow fed centre Tom Cooper – another player from the Cornish Pirates looking for game time following injury – the centre showed some lovely footwork to set up Rhodri McAtee for the Reds opening try.

Penberthy couldn’t add the conversion, but it was the only kick he missed at goal out of nine attempts.

Spurred on by the try Redruth maintained the pressure with the forwards getting the upper hand in the set-piece.

Redruth got a second try before half-time with some quick thinking from man of the match No.8 Tom Duncan who took a quick tap penalty near the Southend line to power over after 36 minutes.

Southend looked for a score before half-time with a period of pressure up in the Piggy Lane corner seeing them get a penalty with McAtee sent to the sin bin for the Reds for killing the ball. Frost kicked a second penalty for the visitors with the final kick of the half.

Redruth carried on in the second half despite being a man down for the first ten minutes with Penberthy getting his first try for the Reds after 48 minutes following good work from Cooper and prop Peter Joyce.

Ten minutes later the try-scoring bonus point was secured with McAtee again at the heart of the move with flanker Owen Hambly in support to feed winger Nathan Pedley who crossed for the fourth Reds’ try.

The best try of the afternoon came after 63 minutes when Redruth’s skipper Craig Bonds looked to move the ball from near his own line, McAtee took the ball near his own twenty-two before setting off on a long run towards the Piggy Lane corner, he looked certain to score, the Southend cover scrambled across, however Hambly was in support to take the inside pass and score under the posts.

Then to round off the try scoring the Welsh Whippet showed his renowned seven’s pace scoring the Reds’ fifth try following a good break from replacement hooker Darren Semmens, scoring with aplomb in Hell Fire corner to put the seal on a great performance.

Redruth 49 pts

Tries – McAtee (2), Duncan, Penberthy, Pedley, Hambly, Conversions – Penberthy (5), Penalties – Penberthy (3)

Yellow Card – McAtee (40)

Southend 6pts

Penalties – Frost (2)

Referee: Fergus Kirby (RFU)

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts