It wasn’t the best day for our Cornish clubs in the National Leagues on Saturday not one win between the four of them, only the Cornish All Blacks can grimace at the fact that they’ll have to play it again as the floodlights failed at Blackheath.

I travelled to Redruth and witnessed Redruth’s fine run ended by a gritty Cambridge side, who knew that a defeat would in all probability extinguished their faint promotion hopes for this season. A win by 19-18 certainly keeps their hopes flickering for a while yet.

You could tell it was going to be one of those days when on arriving at the ground spectators were told they couldn’t park as the top field was too boggy.Yet Redruth should today be sitting pretty with 12 wins, chances they most certainly had to be well out of sight by half-time, unfortunatly Paul Thirlby had an off day with his kicking, whilst other chances were spurned. However credit to Cambridge for taking their chances especially their two killer blows struck from distance by fly-half Craig Evans a penalty and then the match winning drop-goal from 55 meters.

There was a fair bit of confusion as to who scored Redruth’s second try on Saturday, looking through my binoculars it looked very much like Owen Hambly, even though Ricky Pellow was announced as the scorer over the PA. On Sunday I saw a photo, which appeared to show PJ Gidlow as the try scorer, then on Monday another angle on the photo made it look like Hambly!! Whoever got it well done and I hope I don’t offend if my report carries the wrong name, gut reactions are often the correct ones.

Mount’s Bay little run of four wins on the trot ended at Dockham Road as Cinderford who came up with them from National League 3 South last season won 41-12. Fraser Cliverd got both Bay’s tries with Dan Hawkes adding a conversion.

Saturday tea-time saw the National League 1 derby match at the Brickfields between Plymouth Albion and the Cornish Pirates with once again wily old Graham Dawe getting the better of the Pirates as Albion won 20-12 in front of a decent crowd of 5,421. Winger Brian Tuohy scored a try for the Pirates who also had a penalty-try awarded as centre Mark Ireland was high-tackled by Albion’s Keni Fislau resulting in a yellow-card for the Tongan centre. Jimmy Moore kicked the conversion. Another tough away trip for the Pirates next Saturday as they head to London to take on London Welsh at Old Deer Park.

In the Tribute regional league, in South West 2 West, a good win for St. Ives at home as they beat Sidmouth 29-28. Parading new signing Kiwi Hirini Robin at inside centre, it was another of the Hakes overseas players young American Hano Dirksen who scored both of St. Ives’ tries with Karl Martin kicking both conversions and five penalty goals.

In Western Counties West, the North Cornwall derby between Wadebridge Camels and Bude went the way of the County Cup holders 20-14. Andy Cameron, Dan Briskham, Olly Hawkey and Sean Hawkey all scored un-converted tries for the Camels in a hard fought close encounter. Mark Dennis and Dave Uglow scored tries for Bude with Ollie Rayner adding both conversions.

At Camborne, the home side had a 15-10 win over visitors Weston Hornets, prop Leigh Hocking and winger Cameron Bone scored tries for the Cherry & Whites with Dave Mankee adding a conversion and a penalty.

The match at Newquay Hornets between the home side and Devonport Services was abandoned after 35 minutes with the score at 3-3 following an injury to Hornets lock Dan Johns who broke his leg, we wish him a quick recovery.

Up in London 3 SW, London Cornish lost at London Irish Amateurs by 24-21, you can read Dickon Moon’s match report in the link

In the Cornwall & Devon League, Penryn left it late to snatch a win at home against Crediton 11-5. Trailing 5-3 with just a Taron Peacock penalty to show for their efforts, Peacock then scored a try on 80 minutes before Marek Churcher dropped a goal to ensure the win.

Truro won a bad-tempered Cornish derby at Saltash 19-6 with the referee ending the contest 10 minutes early. Truro led at the break 19-3, thanks to tries from Tim Gay, David O’Donnell and Sam Faughan, O’Donnell adding a couple of penalties. Foer Saltash Steve Down kicked a penalty in each half.

Falmouth’s poor season continues with another defeat this time at leaders Okehampton 22-3.

Hayle lost at home to Tavistock 12-9, three Mike Crump penalties made up the Lions’ score.

So the All Blacks, the New Zealand ones that is, completed their third grand slam in the British Isles with a 32-6 win over England at Twickenham to lift the Sir Edmund Hillary Shield. England’s discipline let them down badly, losing four player to the sin-bin, it’s something you cannot afford especially against the All Blacks. Remarkably Dan Carter had an off day with the boot otherwise the score would have been far greater.

Watching the match on TV confirmed once again just how awful the Twickenham crowd have become, I am afraid that they are heading down the road of the round ball lot. Boorish and ill-mannered. The booing of the goal kicker, the disrespect for the Haka, they aren’t real rugby people and I have got no time for them!

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts