What a weekend of rugby. The start of the RBS Six Nations and three thrilling first round matches to kick-off the 2013 version, whilst locally Redruth’s loyal supporters finally had their first home game of 2013.

And with Worthing Raiders rolling up in the Red City sitting top of National League 2 South what a match to savour. We wern’t disappointed. Redruth started slowly but were still in at half-time trailing just 10-5. Then a marvellous second half as the Redruth pack got on top of Worthing to grab a bonus point win 26-22. Good to see Aaron Penberthy back at Redruth for 2/3 weeks getting some game time as part of his re-hab following surgery on inguinal hernias. To cap a fine 20 minute run out Aaron was on hand to score the winning try!

After the match Worthing’s coach Kieron Dawson made an astonishing attack on referee Nick Williams. “We could have played here until Christmas and never have won. I dont want to take anything away from Redruth, they are a strong side but I am sick of saying nothing. It was exactly the same last year with the same referee. We never got a 50-50 decision, he reset the scrum five meters out when it should have been ten and one of the Redruth scores came when the player was clearly in touch!

You can read my Western Morning News report in the link

The Cornish All Blacks surprisingly lost at Southend 20-17. Read Dick Benson-Gyles report from the Morning News in the link

So all this sets up next Saturday’s Cornish “el classico” as Redruth seek once again to win at Polson in the league (something they have not achieved since the advent of league rugby). It’s going to be another cracking Cornish derby. So set your TV’s to record for the 6 Nations and get to Polson Bridge for a great Cornish rugby occassion. Kick-off on Saturday is 2-30 pm.

Very little league rugby elsewhere involving Cornish Clubs last Saturday, however in Tribute Cornwall & Devon League the East Cornwall derby saw Saltash defeat Liskeard/Looe 26-8. Members of Trelawny’s Army were at the game to present match balls to Saltash in recognition of their successes last season.

In Tribute Cornwall 2 Camborne School of Mines had a big win over Camelford 97-0, whilst Bodmin defeated 25-7.

In the RFU Intermediate Cup SW Final St Austell defeated Berry Hill 47-17. Saints scored tries through James Earp, Sam Tank, Adam Kellow, Marcus McCoan and Matt Shepherd. Shepherd also kicked five conversions and four penalties. On the road to Twickenham St. Austell will next play Wimborne in two weeks time.

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts