Eight wins from eight matches played and a healthy seven point cushion at the top of National League 3 South, the Mount’s Bay bandwaggon keeps on rolling following their latest success 20 – 5 win over London Scottish their nearest rivials at the Mennaye last Saturday.

Once again Lee Jarvis proved an inspiration to his team with his tactical nous and kicking game. Jarvis contributed ten points to the Bay’s haul with a couple of conversions a penalty and a drop goal. Bay’s tries came courtesey of Tom Edyvean and Andrew Cheung-Fook.

Bay’s win was almost the only ray of light on a disappointing week-end for Cornish clubs in the league.

In National League 1 both our sides lost. The Cornish All Blacks put up a tremendous fight at Butt’s Park Arena against Coventry finally losing 35 – 27. Recent signing Scott Ireland had a first start for Launceston and contributed 17 points with a try 3 conversions and a penalty goal. The CAB’s other points were scored by winger Matt Jess with a brace of tries. Ireland missed with a late penalty chance which could have snatched a losing bonus point. Launceston also handed a debut to another new signing Tinus Du Plesis a member of Namibia’s Rugby World Cup squad in France last month.

Next up for the Cornish All Blacks are the Exeter Chiefs at Polson on Saturday it’s going to be a cracking match.

Sunday brought disappointment to the Cornish Pirates’ fans as Nottingham with the final play of the game scored a converted try to win 22 – 21 at Camborne. It was always likely to be a tight game with both sides on 30 points prior to the match.

It all began so promisingly as full-back Ollie Thomas cut a great angle to score at the posts for Gareth Steenson to convert to put the Pirates 7 – 0 up after only 3 minutes.

This comfort zone proved to be short lived, as Nottingham won the ball from the re-start and moved the ball left, a burst of speed from Nottingham’s exciting full back Rohaan Nirmalendran created space for Alex Dodge to score in the club house corner, former Pirate Tom Barlow’s conversion failed. Thomas especially, was a constant thorn in the visitor’s side. Steenson and Barlow then swapped penalties, however when the Pirates did have possesion the backs looked static with the wrong options being taken all too often! The most glaring of all was a clear three man overlap which was completley ignored. Thomas was denied when he chased on a hack from James Moore having himself kicked the ball on over the tryline the deadball line saved the visitors. With the last play of the half Steenson kicked a penalty for the Pirates to leave them 13-8 up.

If the Pirates’ faithful thought that the second half would rubber stamp the win they were in for a big surprise. Steenson’s early attempt at a drop goal from distance went well wide,whilst before long Nottingham were beginning to get their powerful maul into gear. An initial surge was foiled illegally, sensing a score Nottingham kicked to the Town gate corner to set up another powerful surge from the lineout which took them over the line for tight-head prop Nigel Hall to score. Barlow added a fine conversion to nudge the visitors into a 2 point lead.

At last the Pirates stirred themselves into action, following numerous phases of play flanker Chris Cracknell was driven over towards the scoreboard corner, Steenson couldn’t convert but made amends later with a penalty kick to stretch the Pirates to 21-15 with 15 minutes to play.

Instead of controlling the rest of the game the Pirates threw the iniative to Nottingham, allowing them field position, twice the Pirates were warned by Mr Spreadbury about pulling down the maul in the end Nottingham forced their way over the line for Sam Raven to score the try to allow Tonks to seal the points.

In National League 2, Redruth had to endure their longest trip of the season away up to Blaydon only to suffer a 25-0 loss and see winger Nathan Pedley dismissed towards the end of the first half for a dangerous tackle. The Reds will hope to bounce back on Saturday at home against Westcombe Park. Redruth should also learn the fate of their appeal against the points deduction following the Cambridge game on Tuesday evening.

In the regional leagues it wasn’t a great day either unless you are a Newquay Hornets supporter. St. Ives lost at home 6-5 to Maidenhead to remain second from bottom in South West 1. Marc Britton scored the Hakes try.

Camborne lost their seventh straight game at Yatton by 58 – 18 to remain firmly fixed to the bottom of South West 2 West, Nathan Curnow and Rob Ley scored tries for the Cherry & Whites with Joe Parma kicking the other points.

In Western Counties West, Wadebridge Camels earned a 10 – 10 draw at Kingsbridge, Tom O’Donnell and Adam Coleman scoring the Camels tries. Hayle defeated Devonport Services 17-11 thanks to a last gasp penalty try converted by Adam Keverne, James Jago and Sam Heath scored the Lions other tries. Penryn are also firmly rooted to the foot of their league following a seventh defeat this time at home to Bude who won 15-6 at the Memorial Ground.

Up in London the Cornish renewed with victory as London Cornish claimed a fine win over Old Reigatian’s by 33 – 5 in London 3 SW, (see Dickon Moon’s match report in the forum).

Newquay Hornets sit proudly ontop of the Cornwall & Devon League following their 17-11 win at Truro. Rob McIntyre scored the only try for the Hornets with Ryan Jones kicking four penalties. For Truro Scott Martin kicked a couple of penalties with Luke Trescothick scoring a try. Falmouth’s game at Wessex was postponed.

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts