Trailing 24-23 a dramatic drop-goal from Aaron Penberthy with the final kick of the match gave Redruth a deserved first win in National League 1 this season, reports Bill Hooper from the Recreation Ground.

It looked like the Reds were heading for another defeat as Rosslyn Park’s centre Chris Lewis scored his side’s third try on 79 minutes to take a one point lead with time almost up. Redruth to their great credit stormed straight back at their visitors with the forwards eventually working the chance for Penberthy’s late strike, which the home crowd greeted with joy and relief!

Both sides traded early penalties from Penberthy and Richard Davies for Rosslyn Park, before the first try of the game went to Redruth.
Full-back Jack Nowell enhanced his growing reputation with strong run out of defence before putting in a fine kick towards Hell Fire Corner behind the visitors defence. Lewis Vinnicombe chased well to force an error from the defender, which allowed Nowell to finish off the move he started.

Rosslyn Park then capitalised on a Redruth error to draw level with a try from full-back Olly Lindsay-Hague.

A tight struggle tipped back in the Reds’ favour with a second try scored by No. 8 Mark Bright, with Penberthy adding the extras.

Davies pegged back three points with a second penalty before half-time to leave the Reds 15-11 up.

At the beginning of the second half Rosslyn Park put Redruth under tremendous pressure with Lindsay-Hague grabbing his second try of the match.

A second penalty from Penberthy re-gained his side the lead, which they extended when Bright stormed in for his second try following good work from Nathan Pedley and hooker Matt Gidlow for a 23-16 advantage after 64 minutes.

Redruth looked for the try-scoring bonus point, however Davies with his third penalty and Lewis’ try looked to have snatched the spoils for the visitors, until Penberthy’s last gasp strike.

Redruth 26 pts
Tries – Nowell, Bright (2), Conversion – Penberthy, Penalties – Penberthy (2), Drop-Goal – Penberthy

Rosslyn Park 24 pts
Tries – Lindsay-Hague (2), Lewis, Penalties – Davies (3)

The Cornish All Blacks picked up a losing bonus point in their defeat at Stourbridge 17-10. Despite scoring a try from centre Ryan Western with Mal Roberts adding a conversion and a penalty, the All Blacks were undone by two late tries, which swung the game in the home side’s favour.

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts