Five try Cornwall retain the Tamar Cup in style


Report by Nigel Walrond at Brickfields

CORNWALL lifted the Tamar Cup for the fourth successive year with a convincing victory over arch-rivals Devon at a very wet Brickfields last night.

The Duchy struggled to get any continuity going in the first half as they gave away a stream of penalties, but they stayed much more on the right side of referee Adam Leal in the second period to score some good tries.

Cornwall took the lead after only four minutes with a touchdown by scrum half Matt Shepherd, who also converted.

Photo Simon Bryant Iktisphoto – Matt Shepherd goes over for Cornwall’s first try

But repeated infringements by Cornwall led to hooker Rupert Freestone being sin-binned, and while he was off, Devon scored a try through Dan Williams, converted by Joe Simmonds, who also kicked a penalty for a 10-7 advantage.

Cornwall responded just before the hour mark with a Shepherd penalty to level the scores, before more good work by the visitors’ man of the match Shepherd set up a try for fly half Lewis Webb, improved by Shepherd.

In first-half injury time, Simmonds slotted another penalty for Devon to cut Cornwall’s lead to 17-13 at the break.

The Duchy made an impressive start to the second half, and tries by young Redruth winger Robin Wedlake and Webb again, converted by Shepherd and replacement Billy Searle, all but wrapped the game up at 31-13.

With three minutes left, Searle grabbed the last try of the game in the corner, and banged over a superb touchline conversion to complete an excellent victory for Cornwall.

Devon (Brixham unless otherwise stated): Goodman, Crosscombe, MacLean, Paterson (Ivybridge), Squire, Simmonds (Teignmouth), Murphy (Tavistock), Halse (New Cross), Avery (Newton Abbot), Morris, Gohl (Barnstaple), Templeton (Newton Abbot), Williams (Newton Abbot), Parsons (Teignmouth), Thomas.

Replacements all used: Petherbridge (Barnstaple), Castleton (Newton Abbot), Sowden (Teignmouth), Maggs, Savage (Exmouth), Bryce, Massy-Birch (Taunton), Turner (Taunton), Manton (Taunton).

Cornwall (Redruth unless otherwise stated): Venables (Saltash), Wedlake, Murphy (Cornish All Blacks), Webber, Dawe (All Blacks), Webb (Taunton), Shepherd (All Blacks), Phillips (Redruth), Freestone (Clifton), Judge (All Blacks), Courtier (All Blacks), Hilton (All Blacks, capt), J Goldsworthy (Camborne), Jones (Penryn), Fuca.

Replacements all used: Salter (All Blacks), J Drew, Brown, M Grubb (Wadebridge), Friend (All Blacks), Peacock (Camborne), Searle (All Blacks), Mankee (Camborne), Prisk.

Scores – Devon: Try: Williams; Con: Simmonds; Pen: Simmonds (2).

Cornwall: Tries: Shepherd, Webb (2), Wedlake, Searle; Cons: Shepherd (3), Searle (2); Pen: Shepherd.

Yellow cards: Cornwall: Freestone 16, Courtier 80.

Referee: Adam Leal (Hampshire).

Attendance: 467.

TASC Paul Bawden Memorial man-of-the-match: Matt Shepherd

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts