It was Red faces that were smiling at the end of another pulsating Cornish derby at the Recreation Ground.

The margin of victory was one that only the most fervent Reds’ supporter could have dared dream of before the match, however Redruth were good value for their win in the only National League 1 encounter to survive the weather this weekend. A win that lifts them out of the bottom two in the table.

Redruth couldn’t have wished for a worse start with scrum-half Mark Richards sin-binned with barely a minute on the clock. The Cornish All Blacks looked to attack from the scrum option they took from the penalty award just five meters out from the Redruth line, however they contrived to infringe and the opportunity was lost and their afternoon went downhill from then on.

Aaron Penberthy got the scoreboard ticking with a seventh minute penalty, there was further home joy as full back Jack Nowell crossed for Redruth’s opening try as the first quarter came to a close.

With the Cornish All Blacks all at sea, Redruth sensed the game was there for the taking. The Redruth forwards took the upper hand and scored a second try just before half-time from flanker Steve Wood for a useful 13-0 lead.

The All Blacks almost found a way back into the game when centre Ryan Westren latched on to a loose pass, however the centre needed support as Redruth got back to cover the danger. Winger James Hawken also looked to have a chance until he stripped of the ball by a fine tackle from Penberthy.

Errors continued from the visitors as the pressure mounted as each minute passed, flanker Jake Childs was yellow-carded for All Blacks after 51 minutes to compound matters. Mark Bright was having his usual influential performance for Redruth so when he was also yellow-carded with just nine minutes left many Redruth hearts were in their mouths. They needn’t have worried two strikes by Penberthy in the space of five minutes eased any fears, the first a penalty from 35 meters as the hapless Mal Roberts got into a pickle that led to the penalty and then a drop-goal to put his side more than two scores ahead at 19-0.

With the game won it was fitting that Bright now back on was on hand to score Redruth’s third try picking up from a five metre scrum to power over in Hell fire corner, Penberthy’s conversion sealing a satisfying win for the Reds and piling more pressure on the Cornish All Blacks.

Redruth 26 pts
Tries – Nowell, Wood, Bright, Conversion – Penberthy, Penalties – Penberthy (2), Drop-goal – Penberthy
Yellow Cards – Richards (1), Bright (71)

Cornish All Blacks 0 pts
Yellow Card – Child (49)

Posted in Bill's Blog

Older posts


Throttled by Instagram because of too many API requests.